Disabling Macbook Pro Headphone Output

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teknobrat2003, May 7, 2011.

1. teknobrat2003 macrumors member

Is it possible to disable the MacBook Pro's headphone output? The reason I ask is because I use the headphone output solely for making music, but then when I watch youtube videos I would like to just listen to videos through the speakers. I have the laptop permanently connected to a larger monitor and it's in a tight space to pulling out and inserting headphones everytime I would like to use the speakers or headphones is a pain. Is it possible to disable the headphone out when headphones are connected and just listen out of the speakers?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

What's wrong with using your monitors to watch youtube? Sure it sound kind of tin-canny but so what?

I did a quick check through sound preferences and the midi setup pref pane, no dice.

3. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

If you had a breakout box such as an M-Box or other that you then had connected to the monitors, then yes you would be able to do this. All you would need to do then is go into System Preferences > Sound, go to the output tab and then change the device to internal speakers.

4. Coolestdude macrumors member

Would an extension cord work, extend the headphone jack to where you can easily access it?