Disabling multi-touch for motor disabilities?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Katilea, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Katilea macrumors member

I have a friend interested in iPod touch but she she read something about the zoom feature (which she would need sometimes) that mentioned double tapping with three fingers and 'double-tap and drag 3 fingers'.

She can't get three finger to work at same time like that, is there anyway to change the multi-touch feature in accessibility?

I noticed they can be simplified on the versions 32GB and 64GB that have voice-over for blind but she will only be able to afford the 8GB as they are really expensive in South Africa where she lives.

Just wondered if anyone already has an 8GB ipod Touch and can tell me if multi-touch can be turned off and more simple gestures used?

Thanks

Kati

2. androiphone macrumors 65816

it is doube tap with one finger to zoom in (or move 2 fingers apart)

double tap with 2 fingers to zoom out (or move 2 fingers towards each other)

to move around or scroll lists it is drag one finger,

3. Katilea thread starter macrumors member

oh! thats odd cos i copied and pasted something from apple accessibility about ipod touch and mentioned 3 fingers. This was bit i copied.

"A simple double-tap with three fingers instantly zooms in and out 200%, and you can double-tap and drag three fingers to adjust the magnification between 100% and 500%."

It did start off talking about the voice over though and only mentioned 32GB and 64GB models to start with as having standard accessibility.

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

That "zoom" (which is initating with 3 fingers) is different from the "2-Finger" pinch zoom. The 3 Finger one zooms the entire screen (you zoom into the entire screen). The 3-Finger zoom is meant for people who have a visual impairment not for simply zooming in photos/Maps. That's why you can zoom into any screen of the iPhone (the Home screen, contacts).

The 2-finger pinch zoom is the standard application zoom on the iPhone (it zooms the area where you pinch in Photos/Maps). This is the most used way and meant simply to enlarge images and websites. It only works in certain applications.

I suggest you and your friend go to a Best Buy or Apple store and play around with an iPhone/iPod touch. You'll see what I mean.

5. Katilea thread starter macrumors member

ahh that explains it thanks.

I am in UK and my friend is in SA so impossible for us to go to an apple store together as neither of us could manage the journey to each others country.

I don't know whether she has an Apple store near her, though I'm sure she must have some kind of electrical store thats sells stuff, most of them sell iPods, ours do in UK anyway.

She had sent me a link to a online store in SA, they are alot more expensive over there than in UK, they maybe even cheaper in US I'm not sure. But still cheaper than the big communication aids that cost several thousands in every country.

6. androiphone macrumors 65816

they have demo ipod touches at almost all hmv, and the tescos with a main electrical areas, some currys. the apple stores are listed in the drop down menu here