Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackotack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
I write a lot of Notes in my iPhone. I was surprised to find them showing up in my Gmail account as phantom unsent email messages. I googled and it turns about that the iPhone syncs notes to Gmail this way. Google already knows enough about me from my email, so I want to disable this 'feature.' I want to delete the notes from Gmail, and keep them on the iPhone.

I go to Settings—>Mail/Contacts/Calendars—>Gmail

Then when I click the switch to disable Notes syncing, it says “Are you sure? All Gmail notes will be removed from your iPhone.”

Does that mean it will remove ALL notes from my iPhone (since all of them have been synced to Gmail), or does that mean any Notes that were created on Gmail will be removed from the iPhone?

I don't want to lose the notes on my phone, but I sure don't want to comb through Gmail manually copying them out elsewhere.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
The notes synced with your Gmail account will be deleted from the iPhone. They'll reappear if you re-sync.

Do you have a Mac? You could move the notes to your iCloud account in the Mac's Notes app. Unfortunately, unlike the Reminders app in iOS, you can't move notes around in iOS Notes.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
A while back my partner was having problems with syncing Notes through Gmail. In the end we decided to migrate her over to syncing through iCloud. The only way we could figure out how to do it was manually copying them over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.