Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dakta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Ever since 10.3, most of the workarounds for force downloading PDF files instead of viewing them have disappeared, and many more have gone by the wayside with Snow Leopard.

At best, you can disable PDF web view in Acrobat and force Safari to open those pesky PDFs with it's built in viewer. But that's not good enough.

We need to be able to force Safari to download PDF files like any other format instead of being all fancy and viewing them in the web browser. Unfortunately, I have been unable to locate any method for forcing Safari 4 in Snow Leopard to download PDF files like any other file. This is REALLY starting to piss me off. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Aside from their not being any way (as far as I am aware) to force Safari to download PDFs, I can't even force Safari to use the mythical built in viewer (I have yet to see it in action due to Acrobat not allowing me to edit the checkboxes for Preferences>Internet>Display PDF in browser using: [Adobe Reader 8.1.8], pic attached).

If anyone out there has a real, working, non-hacky solution to this problem, it would be totally awesome if you could share it with the rest of us and save us all a whole lot of time! Thanks!

Attachments

• Adobe ReaderScreenSnapz001.png
    Adobe ReaderScreenSnapz001.png
    205.8 KB · Views: 54
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.