disabling safari top sites

Discussion in 'macOS' started by littleasian, Nov 15, 2009.

1. littleasian macrumors member

i love safari. its fast, looks great, and does everything i want it to. outside of poor flash support (i hear macs in general are just bad for flash) everything works.

what i don't like in safari is the top sites feature. i dont mind that it keeps track of which websites i visit most often, but i hate how it takes a little snapshot of every website and saves it in the website preview folder in the cache. i didn't know you had to manually delete it and when i did it was taking up over 1.5 gb of space (/user/library/caches/com.apple.safari/website previews).

i dont understand why apple couldn't have just made top sites show your most commonly visited website (like chrome or opera) and instead had to take on the website previews. is there a way to disable top sites or at least prevent it from saving previews of websites everytime i use it?

thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can permanently set pages in Top Sites, so it won't use the sites you recently viewed. Then it will only keep the sites you add, which could be something like the Google home page, for all top sites.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

To disable Top Sites, go to Safari > Preferences > General

New windows open with: Top Sites
    Change it to something else. Obviously, you can do the same for New Tabs.

(You'll also see Top Sites in the Show All Bookmarks window. Drag that up, don't stop when it first stops moving. It will be reduced to a thin bar.)

Now delete the Image Cache. Choose Safari > Reset Safari... and select Remove All Webpage Preview Images. Click Reset. Now go to YourUserName/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari and select the Webpage Previews folder. Press Cmd-I and click Locked. Now it won't accumulate a jpeg and png of every web page you visit. I saved over 500MB of disk space!

4. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

It's a dumb "feature" in Safari. It slowed my Powerbook G4 down to a crawl when viewing favorites, and it appears there's no real way to turn it off.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

No. It appears you didn't read the post just before your own.