Disabling Spotlight

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Shintsu, May 9, 2010.

1. Shintsu macrumors member

Shintsu

I've seen posts about what you type and how to edit the Hostconfig file but good god, I DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING about the terminal. I used to use DOS a little and I grasp that but I do NOT have a clue how to use terminal and every link I find on the web assumes I'm an uber geek who understands.

Please, will someone just tell me how to SAVE the Hostconfig file? For complete idiots? What does the ^X and stuff mean, how do I do that? I mean a step by step of precisely the keys and combinations I need to type to save the file so it's disabled. I'd really appreciate it, I think it's bogging my iBook down.

2. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

Since i don't want to encourage anyone to disable Spotlight (much better is to troubleshoot what it's getting hung up on), i won't take time to do a Unix editor tutorial.

But if a GUI tool would help: you should check out TextWrangler. It handles opening files buried inside invisible directories, and it manages all the privilege escalation business, and it can even be configured to make date-stamped backup files for us automatically.

PS: idunno which OS version you have, but i think that Spotlight trick was broken by Leopard...

Code:
    $ [COLOR="Blue"]cat /etc/hostconfig[/COLOR]
    # This file is going away

AFPSERVER=-NO-
    AUTHSERVER=-NO-
    TIMESYNC=-NO-
    QTSSERVER=-NO-

See? No more "SPOTLIGHT=-YES-" line anymore. If you have Tiger, then maybe.

EDIT: ah okay... now i can see your sig. Yes, for Tiger the trick should work. Try TextWrangler then.

EDIT 2: Just to repeat my other warning... OSX without Spotlight is kinda lame.

3. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Not quite as geeky, but couldn't you click the Privacy tab of the Spotlight system preference and turn off Spotlight on all your hard disks?

But Hal_Itosis is right. Rather than disabling Spotlight altogether, you should try to troubleshoot your Spotlight issues. I'm folks on this board would help.

mt