Disabling Turbo Boost on rMB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by palmwangja, Jun 9, 2015.

1. palmwangja macrumors regular

palmwangja

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. Dayv macrumors 6502

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Seriously, why?

OK, so the linked article talks about doing it to increase battery life, but I think that disabling Turbo Boost on the rMB would probably give you the slow performance that all the detractors expected out of this computer.

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Better to set up you rMB with efficiency in mind, use the apps that you need and minimise on the background tasks. Use activity Monitor to see whats consuming CPU cycles & battery life. Often there are alternatives to poorly optimised apps that consume power needlessly.

Q-6

5. tigerduck macrumors newbie

could be useful if you really need to stretch your battery life. However, keep in mind that USB 3.1 is a huge benefit as you can use many 3rd party battery packs, intended for phones and tablets, to extend your battery.

Running low on battery with no plug in sight is not nearly as fatal as with other Apple laptops!

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Exactly...

Q-6

7. tutux macrumors member

tutux

you won't be able to disable such function without de-activating the kernel modules signature which is activated by default on yosemite.

Same as TRIM enabler. I wanted to test the same, but as the CPU manage quite well the turbo (way more efficient than my rMBP 15", I 'm able to get descent autonomy without having to tweak anything.

8. JackRegan macrumors newbie

JackRegan

^^^

Sums it up in a nutshell tbh.