Disabling USB 3.0 driver

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by p9oil, Aug 15, 2015.

1. p9oil macrumors newbie

i have made a windows 7 bootable usb with wintousb on another computer without usb 3 ports. i was wondering if i could disable the usb 3.0 driver so i could boot from that usb and install the usb 3.0 drivers on the windows 7 system on the usb. I cant boot from it currently because windows 7 has no usb 3.0 support

Thx in advance for the answers guys!

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

USB 3.0 is backward compatible with USB 2.0.

3. p9oil thread starter macrumors newbie

my usb is usb 3.0 and all my mac ports are usb 3 and i dont have the usb 3.0 driver on the windows 7 bootable usb so it bluescreens when i boot from it.

4. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Well, there is some truth to this. But the best option would be to use Boot Camp Assistant and have it make the bootable USB installer. It'll include all the drivers for install as well either on another partition or on the installer drive. Plus it won't blue screen. All you need is the ISO you used to create your original.

Simply not having a USB 3.0 driver shouldn't bluscreen the thing though. I've booted many USB 3.0 only PCs off of a Windows 7 USB installer created with the Windows 7 USB/DVD tool from Microsoft and it works just fine (Asus, Dell, HP, Custom builds, etc). Some will use compatibility mode in the BIOS/UEFI though, but that doesn't apply here with the Macs.

5. 0x100 macrumors regular

0x100

No, that's really only half ture. Even for software and hardware that follows the USB spec.

6. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Why exactly aren't you using Bootcamp to install Windows? Going your route is going to leave you with a huge headache when it comes to installing drivers needed for your Mac to run properly with Windows installed.