Disadavantage of high-end Graphic Processor?

FrenzyBanana

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Is't same with CPU that cause more heat and reduce battery life?

Will it benefits me more if i choose high end graphics?

Im using...
Photoshop - 90%
Video Editing - 10%

leman

macrumors G3
Oct 14, 2008
Doesn’t really matter if you do demanding tasks on battery power - your laptop won’t last much in any case. And yes, there will probably be more heat. Nothing your computer can’t deal with. A different question is whether you’ll see any improvements for your tasks with higher-end graphics. I doubt it. But one wouldn’t know without testing...

Reactions: New_Mac_Smell

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
If there is a "disadvantage" to a discrete GPU in MacBook Pros, it's that Apple seems to have a poor track record with them insofar as "longevity" is concerned.

In other words, MacBooks with discrete GPUs seem to be more prone to failures with age.
Example: "RadeonGate".

Perhaps they've got this "fixed" with the newer designed MacBooks.
Only time will tell...

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
If there is a "disadvantage" to a discrete GPU in MacBook Pros, it's that Apple seems to have a poor track record with them insofar as "longevity" is concerned.

In other words, MacBooks with discrete GPUs seem to be more prone to failures with age.
Example: "RadeonGate".

Perhaps they've got this "fixed" with the newer designed MacBooks.
Only time will tell...
I don't think it is that common in anything other than that particular model. It may also be a bit more prevalent within the industry, except Windows laptops only last 2 years so you never reach that stage of life.

No immediate disadvantage to having something more powerful, other than it'll be more noticeably less high-end when the next high-end trumps it.

On the other hand for your use it won't make a difference, only your bank account will feel the disadvantage.

FrenzyBanana

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
My first macbook is 17". I fully upgrade all the specs to the maximum. Logic board died due to overheat.

Cant decide between high end gpu (improved performance?) or the standard gpu (lessen overheat, prevent macbook from dying)

syan48306

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Buy the high end gpu if you think you might need it.

Be happy you got a great machine, and don't worry about anything else. IMO

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
I wouldn't call it a "track record" when it's just two GPU families that have had that issue and I'm saying this as someone who's owned two Macbook Pro's, both of them susceptible models that succame to it (and were fixed under extended warranty for it). We're talking about the GTX 8600 in the mid/late 2007 and early 2008 machines and the HD 6000-series in the early/late 2011 machines.

evec

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2016
If you don't require external display card just don't get,
The laptop (both PC and MAC) with discrete display card will generated more heat,
more complex and more easy to failure, as discrete card is hungry of power at small room,
which tax the power supply and internal power circuit tired and high temperature.