Disadvantages of a 3G Jailbreak ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fab5freddy, Oct 27, 2008.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Can anyone tell me the disadvantages of jailbreaking your 3G iPhone ?
    For example, can you do all the software updates..etc...?

thanks

2. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Well besides the standard it voids your warranty, it can be a hassle to update. Also it may make your phone horribly slow. I endedup restoring mine to stock becuase the lag was unbearable.

3. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

There has been a fair amount of debate as to what actually causes the lag on a Jailbroken 2.1 iPhone. Some feel that it is actually Winterboard that causes the slowdown rather than the Jailbreak itself. A disadvantage is that, everytime you update your firmware you must re-Jailbreak (and hope that it CAN be re-Jailbroken) and re-install all your Jailbreak apps. You can, fortunately, restore the rest of the apps and settings with no problems. I am running a 1.1.4 first gen iPhone (by choice) and have no problems with the Jailbreak. It is incredibly zippy and fast compared even to a non-Jailbroken 2.1 iPhone. I had both at the same time and did comparisons ad-nauseum.

4. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

ok, that sucks. I really wanted to use the tethering app.

Is there a way to tether to your laptop without jailbreaking ?

5. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Regardless of what you read (here, or otherwise), jailbreaking does not make your phone "horribly slow."

There are some themes that do, but "horribly slow" is not an inherent side-effect of jailbreaking.

You can still update your OS, but if you do, you will lose your jailbreak, and you will need to do it again if you want it, but you do not have to.

Aside from jailbreaking, the only way to tether your laptop, is with NetShare, and it has been booted from the app store.

6. golgo1313 macrumors regular

i thought it was my imagination that my 3g slowed down to a crawl after jailbreaking. i did it because i wanted to use netshare (mosty) but also installed cracked apps.

7. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

No disadvantages whatsoever and you now have a customizable iPhone, the possibilities are endless with jailbreak

8. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Advantages of Jailbrake;
    1. Video Recording
    2. MMS
    3. Copy & Paste *limited use
    4. Tethering (PDAnet is lite years ahead of Netshare)
    5. Themes & other visual customizations
    6. System enhancements (Boss Prefs, App Viewer etc etc)

Disadvantages;
    1. Firmware updates (have to reJB and reinstall apps)
    2. Voids warranty * If your phone dies and can't be restored you MAY get hassled by :apple:
    3. Performance impact * This appears to be random and or related to what is installed. I've personally seen improvements in iPhones after JB :confused:

9. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

thanks guys for all the tips!

i think i will do a JB ;-)