Disadvantages of buying a first gen new design... input, please

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by notdarkyet, Sep 9, 2008.

1. notdarkyet macrumors newbie

notdarkyet

I'm a junior in high school buying my first laptop, as well as my first Apple product... needless to say, I'm excited. I had been hoping that Apple would come out with their new design by September (start of school for me), but obviously there will still be a little wait.

I love the black Macbook - not a white fan - and thus would get that model if I was buying one of the current generation models. The grease factor worries me, a little, but I'm not vain enough to have that dissuade me.

My question is this: I've heard that due to issues not having a chance to be resolved, and the design not having a chance to be refined, purchasing a first gen Apple product is a bad idea... should I then go for one of the current models? I need the laptop within the next two-three months.

Obviously everything's kind of a crapshoot right now, and there are only conjectures about what the new Macbooks will look like, but is there anyone who really WOULD strongly advise against getting a new first gen? Is there anyone who can already see other advantages for getting a current model?

Also, I'm assuming that once the new gen comes out, the current models will be cheaper - does anyone have any guesses on how much cheaper, and how widely available they might be?

I'm lost and alone in the world of product theorizing, save me!

2. c4sh macrumors newbie

DUDE ! i am in the exact same predicament as you , and i have no clue what to do because im going to need a notebook really soon as i already started school :confused:

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I have bought plenty of first-gen Apple products (computers, iPods, iPhones) and I've always been pleased with their performance. For me, if it's something I want, I'll buy it the day it ships.

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

My MacBook and iPod Touch work great....both first Gen and running the latest software. And instead of remaining without, I've been enjoying them since their releases. -GDF

5. mbleopard macrumors regular

From my understanding the existing models can be purchased as refurbished for a bit of a discount if there are any left, but Apple does try to run down its existing stock for a few weeks before releasing the new models

6. notdarkyet thread starter macrumors newbie

notdarkyet

Good to know, mbleopard. Thank you.

For awhile now I've been operating on the assumption that the new Macbooks will have some fantastically desirable new design that I wouldn't want to pass up. I'm most concerned with durability + energy efficiency (my computing needs are only slightly above 'basic'), and it seems to me that the new gen will be more durable, lighter, more energy efficient, etc... all of these things are worth waiting for, to me.

However, if the new design comes out and doesn't show significant improvements in these arenas, I'd rather get a current model at a lower price. Would that mean I'd probably just be looking at refurbs?

7. JLEW700 macrumors 6502

Even if there are flaws in a first generation product, apple is usually really good about getting software updates out fast. Look at the new iphone, a couple minor flaws and apple is already set to release its 3rd software update in the last 2-3 months. As far as hardware flaws there souldnt be any or else it should be covered by apple and we'll get new products

8. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

I am a first Adopter always, so I must tell you wait...Issues will happen,

9. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Issues do happen, and I've seen a few, PowerBook, got the white spots. MacBook Pro at work, the logicboard died, friend's first gen MacBook's logicboard (the first gen MB/MBP both had high failure rates) died.

I intentionally bought mine now due to those factors, and nearing all the bugs ironed out. I can personally say the computer is the nicest laptop I've ever owned, and couldn't be any happier with it.

Oh, and before the entire Apple does software updates starts, please, tell me which ones can fix 15" PowerBook's screens, 17" PowerBook's line problems, logicboard failures, and defective batteries.

10. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I agree. I will never buy 1st gen. again.

11. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

id say, just get a refurb on the current gen. it will save you some money and youll get an EXCELLENT MACHINE. think about it. does design matter more than cost and quality? if they do a major overhaul of the macbook, then there will be problems, as with most first gen products of any manufacturer. not fun to deal with, especially when something important is necessary. ie. a grade determining essay. my advice to you is to get either a refurb or a new macbook of the current gen. they are reliable and will pay off in the long run.

12. TFMTASAD macrumors regular

The current gen is a really good computer, it is rock solid. Most of the bugs have been eliminated and I can't see how one couldn't be satisfied with it (unless you are one of these guys who needs a Macbook Pro but buys a Macbook).

The next gen...well the only things that most agree on is that it'll have an aluminium casing and most likely a LED backlit screen. The rest of the specs are up still pretty much unknown.

The first generation of any product is always more troublesome. Let me give you an example. I'm a mechanic in a VW/Audi dealership. Every single time they introduce a new generation of cars, there is always a lot of quality issues coming up all the time. You take the same car a year or two later, everything is fine.

(Ok back on topic)
    To sum it up

If the (potentially) new features are on your "MUST HAVE" list. Wait and get the next-gen. Otherwise, get the current Macbook. It's not like the current gen is going to become absolute garbage the day the new ones are released.

If you need it now, get it now, you won't regret it.

13. notdarkyet thread starter macrumors newbie

notdarkyet

You all are very convincing...
    I love the design of the current Blackbook so much that I may end up just going for it, especially if there's a possibility that I might not be able to get my hands on one if demand is strong after the new gen comes out. :p

I must admit, it's a stunning machine. And I'm a grungy Seattleite anyway... I can get over the grease.

I think I'm going to go for a refurb. New packaging is nice, but the joy lasts a day. ;)

14. svndmvn Guest

i believe it is safe to say refurbs look good as new..
    I,personally,am going to buy a rev A as long as it isn't ugly,I'd love the LED backlight,and the specs available now are ok,actually..we'll see