Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thumb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
hi all,

i have two computers, a .867ghz tibook, and a dual 1.8ghz G5.

after the new chips come out, i plan on replacing ONE of these two (cant afford both).

are there any obvious disadvantages of running one ppc arch. and one intel, other than of course the new UB programs i will need?

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
I can't see any disadvantages to that. I'm assuming each will have its own copy of applications, so there should be no problem there. I would get rid of the TiBook if I were you, and upgrade to a MacBook or something along those lines. Just because the G5 will still be plenty of power for years to come.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Um.. applications copied from the PPC to Intel will be a little slower because they run in rosetta. That is the only thing I can think of and it is a problem with Intel in general, not of having both.

I would say that having both is an advantage. You can run anything that way. If you want to run OS 9 apps or non UB games then you use the PPC. Any UB programs will work on either so that isn't a problem. Also, files are files and can be transfered as easily as PPC to PPC. There won't be any communication issues either.

In short, there are none.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
We currently run G3 / G4 / G5 / Intel duo core based Macs - no major issues in moving things around. Our biggest issue has been the lack of F4M for Intel based Macs - there is a workaround for that also. We will be glad when this transition is over - BUT - we will still be running lots of different processor based Macs for years to come.

thumb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
great, glad to hear it. looks like i will be first in line for one of those merom mbps then.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Keep the G5 and add an Intel, then you will have the best of the best ;)

Not a single PPC app you shouldn't be able to run.

garethh

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2006
UK
I've had no problems so far. The only PPC app I really need is Word and I often forget it's not a UB when I'm using it on the MacBook. I think it actually runs faster!

The other day I was waiting for it to load up on the iMac G5 and thought it was a bit slow because of Rosetta and then I realised it was running natively!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.