disappearing apps

Discussion in 'macOS' started by apple_iBoy, Aug 10, 2007.

1. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

Apple apps keep disappearing from my system!! A few months ago I noticed that Internet Connect was gone. Then a few weeks later, iCal was missing. Now I just noticed I don't have DVD player anymore.

What's happening?! It's getting to the point where I don't trust my system anymore! Disk Utility says SMART status is okay on the drive.

No need to tell me that I need to backup -- just please help me figure out what's happening!

2. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

might be the feds sneaking into ur system now tht bush has more power

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

this is a very very wierd occourence. can u use spotlight to search for the programs that have gone missing? do u have kids that could have accidentally moved them or something (if you let your kids use your computer)

4. apple_iBoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope, no kids. I am generally the only user of this machine. Every once in awhile for the past month or so, the dock icon for one of my apps will turn into a question mark and the application itself is nowhere to be found. I've been reinstalling the missing programs using Pacifist, but I'm still puzzled and a bit concerned.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Use Disk Utility to verify your drive. Also, how much free space do you have on your boot drive? Have you renamed any system folders? :)

6. apple_iBoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did an Archive and Install yesterday, in the hopes that whatever was causing this behavior could be fixed by replacing the system.

Now that I think back, it wasn't that the Internet Connect program simply disappeared, but it suddenly had no icon and gave an error message when I would try to launch it. I seem to remember this happening very soon after a point update, but I thought it was just an isolated glitch.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the problem doesn't reappear (or that other things haven't disappeared that I just haven't noticed yet!)

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well post back if anything strange starts happening again.