Disappearing back, forward, bookmarks bar in safari

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by minimo3, Oct 16, 2013.

1. minimo3 macrumors regular

Is there a way to stop the bottom navigation bar in safari from disappearing as you scroll/read a page? It's irritating to have to swipe down to have to make it appear. Sometimes when opening safari the bar is not there either so now you have to swipe to make it appear before you can go to a bookmark.

2. minimo3 thread starter macrumors regular

I also noticed that you have to tap twice on the top bar to go to the top of page now. First tap brings up the address bar and second tap brings you to the top of the page. Are they deliberately trying to make safari more inefficient.

3. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

iOS7 = content first. I don't find tapping bottom to bring up controls inefficient at all. I hardly ever need them when you can just swipe back and forward. The only time I need them is to activate reader or close the tab.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You can just tap the bottom of the page and the bar will appear.

5. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

6. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

It's about bringing your content into focus. It's not too hard to bring it back up.

7. minimo3 thread starter macrumors regular

Its interesting then that mail, photos, calendars all maintain the fixed top and bottom navigation bar.

8. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

I find more usable content on a page far more efficient than only having to tap once.

9. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

You can go back and forward now with a swipe form the edge of the screen so you don't need it as much.

10. vexorg macrumors 6502a

It's a phone! who want want to browse on a phone unless it was a real urgent emergency. Use a laptop of desktop to browse, use a phone for..... phoning, or maybe texting, and maybe email.

11. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

Different people use their devices in different ways.

Shocking, I know :rolleyes:

12. vexorg macrumors 6502a

I still say the clue is in the name....

13. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

If that was the case, then there would be no Safari on the iPhone, nor an app store.

Many people don't own a computer. And those who do (myself included) spend much of our day (when not at work) out and about - where it's really nice to have a browser to look up information.

As the other user said, everyone has different needs for their phone. I don't see the point in paying $670+ just to use the phone..

14. cola79 macrumors regular

Who? Probably everybody who bought a smartphone! Your usage profile does not need an iPhone or whatever, it can be done with every phone build after 2000...

Safari is by far the worst web browsing experience, if you ain't lucky to land on a rare page that supports the reader function, you can barely read anything or have to zoom and swipe all day.

Android for example is for people who read a lot of web pages still the reference, just tap to zoom and text is easily readable and fits your phone screen, no swipe needed.

15. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I browse dozens of websites on my iPhone every day - I've never had a problem viewing any page. The worst case scenario is that I need to double click the text so it zooms and fits the text to the screen. A 1/2 second double tap on the screen hardly makes Safari on the iPhone an unusable browsing experience.

16. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

At first I found it to be awkward too, but then I discovered that if you start scrolling upwards, the bar will appear.
    iOS 7 brings the content in the foreground and it is the correct way to do it. Safari on iOS 7 is really very good.

17. cola79 macrumors regular

You probably watch mobile websites but you can see what I mean when for example watching the apple forums. Just tap to zoom is useless, compare that with android phones and you know what I mean.

Apple does almost everything better than android, but the web browser is really bad.

18. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I read multiple articles a day on the National Geographic site - they have no mobile version. It could be better implemented, but as it is it seems to be quite good. No issues here.

19. vexorg macrumors 6502a

Exactly, screen is too small, mobile websites are crap, it's generally very slow, even on wifi. And there's never anything that so on fire that I couldn't wait until later.

Even on andriod it's an awful experience, fingers are too big for the screen, so you need to contantly zoom in and out or pan back and forward.

20. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

I can't believe people still think the iPhone is primarily a phone. Since day ONE the phone functions was nothing but two apps (phone / messages). The only reason it was even named iPhone was for people to grok in their minds why they would need a portable pocket computer. Which is what the iPhone is.

21. JobsGang macrumors regular

JobsGang

:rolleyes:I would bet 80% of iPhone users browse the web on their phone.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

And there are others who don't use an iPhone as a phone for the most part. Doesn't make what anyone uses one for or doesn't use one for any more or less "right" for different people.