Disappearing Desktop Downloads

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ZoomZoomZoom, Oct 4, 2007.

1. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

Whenever I download a file to the desktop, it doesn't appear. During the download, I get the "filename.extension.download" file on my desktop. However, when the download completes, it doesn't "turn" into the "filename.extension" file as it should. Instead, it stays as "filename.extension.download" and it disappears if I try to click on it, leaving me with nothing on my desktop.

However, by going to the Safari downloads window, I can access the file. I can also show it in finder. Spotlight can find the file. After I use the "show in finder" option from the Safari downloads window, the files appear on my desktop as they should.

The bug seems to have occurred elsewhere. Seems like the exact situation happened to this guy.

Anyone know what's wrong and how to fix it? This is on my brand-new MBP, right out of box.

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

in the finder preferences, do you have all the view options checked a.k.a "show these items on the desktop"

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Sometimes icons will physically (metaphorically speaking) get stacked on top of each other. Under Finder, go to view, and choose "arrange by" and choose one. It should unstack everything.

4. ZoomZoomZoom thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

Pretty much everything is at default. I have all the view options checked. (Hard disk, CDs, DVDs, iPods, and Connected servers)

5. ZoomZoomZoom thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

These icons, however, are not stacked. My icons are arranged by name. Also, because this is a new computer, I only have one desktop icon, my Maintosh HD. Moving it around doesn't reveal the missing files.

6. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Thought I'd suggest it at least. This has happened before to me.

7. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

i'd try creating another user account and testing it. is it any file-type or just dmgs or something else specific.

8. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

are these just browser downloads? does it happen with Safari and Firefox both? can you drag files say from a flash drive onto the desktop. Are your permissions set correctly?

9. ZoomZoomZoom thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

Yep, permissions are set correctly. It occurs with any download from any browser, even saving images.

10. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

sorry, I'd say just try a restart or another user account (if you haven't done so already)

11. ZoomZoomZoom thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

Aha, got it fixed.

Took a software update (new computer, remember?) and a reboot. Thanks for the help!

12. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

good,

and let me know if you want to unload your PowerBook ;)

13. Frommel macrumors newbie

I encounter the same problem suddenly...
    how can this happen and how can i fix this?

Please let me know :)

OS X 10.4.10

Al, iMac 2.8