Disappearing disk space with Quicktime

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MrAdam, Dec 25, 2008.

1. MrAdam macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've been working with videos in Quicktime and noticed that my free disk space seems to be disappearing afterwards. Just now I converted a mov file to an avi file. The resulting file was too big so I deleted it. Now, however, I have 3GB less disk space than I did before the conversion. It's not the first time that I've noticed this, and I'm beginning to run fairly low on spare disk space, while not actually doing much that I would expect to take up that much.

Does Quicktime have a cache or something that I'm missing? Obviously I've removed the unwanted converted file from my MBP, but something is still taking up that space and I can't figure out what it is.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

2. MrAdam thread starter macrumors newbie

3. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Did you empty the trash after deleting the file? If not, that space is still occupied until the file is permanently gone.

4. MrAdam thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the file is deleted and the trash emptied. Some of my disk space has slowly started to reappear (I had about 21GB, then 17GB when I converted the file. After deleting the file I had 18GB, now it's crept up to 20GB, with only a small amount of that being due to removing other files). It seems quite erratic.

5. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

It does have a cache for downloaded movie files from the internet. I'm not in front of my mac but f you open up the preference pane in system preferences, there should be an option to empty it.