Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jshwon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Every once in awhile my dock will disappear. The icons are there and their reflection but its like they are floating on air. Anyone know why this happens? I've tried the kill dock terminal command but nothing changes unless I reboot. Can I fix this without rebooting?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
As with all things, repair permissions, restart and see if it happens again. I sounds like a permission problem, like it is trying to restart on its own and hanging.

TEG

Jshwon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
As with all things, repair permissions, restart and see if it happens again. I sounds like a permission problem, like it is trying to restart on its own and hanging.

TEG

I haven't tried reparing perms and it does go away when I restart. I was wondering if there is a way to fix it w/o doing that. How do you go about repairing permissions?

montycat

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2007
Florida
Sometimes my Dock icons and reflection are a 1:1 ratio. When I restart my iMac everything goes back to normal. I dont know if this info will help you but a restart always seems to fix most of my problems. MC

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility, then click on your hard drive, then repair permissions. The once complete, restart the computer, so that the dock knows that it has the correct permissions (as it may not check on the fly).

TEG

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Try deleting recent items in the downloads folder from the doc. A corrupted file there can cause strange happenings.

DTG

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2003
UK
I get this issue somestimes too. Usually when I have Vista running alongside OSX in Parallels. I use Spaces so that I have OSX in one and Vista in the other and sometimes when I pop back to OSX I'll find that my dock has disappeared. My temporary fix for now is to Quit the Process in Activity Monitor. This does the trick for me.

I'll try the repair permissions to see if this stops it altogether.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.