Disappearing Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Rad, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Rad macrumors regular

I have a Western Digital Green 2 TB drive attached to on of the two extra SATA II ports on my 2006 Mac Pro. No problems for over three years using several drives on this port. Today the drive suddenly would not mount and I received a "Drive Not Recognized" warning. In Disk Utility the drive is completely empty without any volume. I also now have a 32-GB "phantom" volume which used my user name - but does not exist. I turned off the computer and put the drive in an external enclosure, which it mounted without difficulty. I am now updating my backup of the drive and ordered a new 2 TB WD Black drive.

Only a few days ago I had the similar problem with a SD card - missing volume contents, a "phantom" 32 GB volume. I actually reformted and erased the SD drive, ran Disk Utility to check it, and put it in another computer - using the same SD card reader - and all the files were there!! Nothing was erased at all. Very strange.

Anyone have any idea WTF is going on? It seems like my motherboard drive controllers are getting flaky. Any way to test it? I have all the usual test programs, but nothing has shown up.

Thanks!
    :(

2. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Do you have windows installed? can you test it there?

3. Rad thread starter macrumors regular

Htfs

Yes, I have a BootCamp partition with Windows 7 64 bit on my Mac Pro 2006 (which works fine). But the drive is a Mac formatted HFS+ drive. The drive works fine - out of my mac in a Firewire enclosure. I do have MacDrive so I can see it in Windows if I tried. I did disable the BootCamp AppleHFS.sys drive since it caused BSOD in Windows (like a lot of people reported). I should have my replacement drive today. Once I have restored everything, I plan on using the Western Digital Windows-only utility to reformat and test the drive. I am not so sure that it is my drive that is the problem.

4. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Im having problems with my 06 MP and drives

suddenly my two right sled drive slots stopped working.

if I boot with a drive there I can hear it spin up for 1 sec then stop and then spin up for 1 sec etc, almost as if it did not recieve enough power

no idea what to do

5. craighton macrumors member

craighton

One of my friends had the same problem with the non mounting drive, what he did was unplugged everything, and turned off his computer for about an hour and plugged everything back in and booted it back up and fixed the problem. Don't know if it will work for you but that is how he fixed his

6. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Hmmm sounds like it could be an OS issue, maybe because your using the extra SATA ports.