Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
So, Tiger has been about 90% good for me. I had a serious episode with iTunes and my iPod plugged in over USB 2.0. I had to reboot my computer twice yesterday because iTunes would stop responding, yada yada. That's a different issue though, that I have since taken care of.

However!, since Tiger, I notice that sometimes, with fast-user switching, or even just logging out of my account, and then logging into a different account, my firewire drive just disappears. It stays powered on, but it won't mount. The power light is on, but no drive. Also, if I haven't accessed it in a while, say, 30 mins, when I go to access it, I just get the beachball, and the drive never actually spins up to speed to access data. I discovered I can just trick the OS and unplug/plig in the drive nice and quick, and suddenly it's accessing for me, but, it's quite annoying.

So...ummm, yeah, It's a bus-powered firewire Toshiba 60GB 2.5" notebook drive. THANKS!

What say ye?!

falcoboy7

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2004
While the external HD is plugged in, go to Disk Utility and click "mount" at the top. See if that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.