Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psycho+logical

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
I have been using a nifty bit of software called Hide-Out! to tuck away some of my more important docs, however I have changed something like the filename and the hidden folder is now inaccessible. Does anyone have a nice and simple nub-friendly explaination as to how I can restore my documents to be visible?

Thanks In Advance

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
First, you'll need to tweak the finder so that it shows hidden files. Open up the Terminal (in your Applications:Utilities folder) and enter the following command:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 1

Second, hold down Control and Option, and click on the Finder icon in the dock. Pick "Relaunch" form the little menu.

Now, all your files are visible, and you can find that hidden folder. Make a new folder (any name will do), and drag the contents of that hidden folder to the new folder you just created. Throw the hidden (now empty) folder into the trash.

That should be it, your files should be recovered. To set the finder back to normal, use the terminal command:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 0

...and relaunch the Finder as above.

Finally, locate that Hide-Out program and drag it to the trash, because that's where it belongs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.