Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

typecase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
I've recently had a strange problem. Occasionally, my desktop icons all disappear (everything except for the Macintosh HD). I can still access the files by opening the HD then navigating to users/user name/desktop but the files on the desktop are gone. When I try selecting the desktop, only ghosts of the folders appear (no ghost files). Any idea what could be causing this? A finder reboots seems to cure the problem. (See below for a picture). I have 10.4.8 on a G5 with all the updates.

typecase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
Like any superstitious mac user, repairing permissions (and doing the whole twirl the rubber chicken thing) was the first thing I did.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Not to stray from the main topic but where did you get that cool G5/MacPro case icon? That looks neat!

chibislick

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2007
I would love an answer to that as well... Sometimes I get all my icons from the Desktop disappear, except from the hard drives. Also, the finder's preferences of the desktop's disappeared folders are reset.

:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.