Disappearing Folders, Files & Other Odd Behavior

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nygladiator2008, Jul 19, 2008.

1. nygladiator2008 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro and have experienced the following odd behavior the past few days:

- folders of documents have completely vanished from my desktop
    - firefox complete vanished from my computer and dock
    - safari/network connection (cable modem via time warner in nyc) has been slower than microsoft to catch google

* I ran MacScan, but it said no viruses/spyware anywhere.

Some history:

- On Tuesday, while staying at a hotel with their wireless network (roomlinx), I logged in to a match.com, then logged out.
    - I logged in again to the site a few minutes later, and the URL was correct, but the roomlinx website appeared. Odd
    - this continued despite restart, clearing caches, etc.
    - i called tech support at roomlinx, useless

- On Thursday, I got home and the same website issue was happening.
    - I ran MacScan, no spyware found.
    - After the restart, I log back on to match.com, and all was well, so I searched away
    - network has been slow, time warner says they'll look at the modem next week. no network outages, issues.

- Saturday morning, I turn on my computer and notice firefox missing form the dock.
    - slow browsing on the network.
    - i turn off the computer
    - i turn it back on, and all desktop folders have vanished- nowhere to be found.
    - network too slow... now at an apple store making an appointment for the genius bar.

Anyone have any ideas what's up?!

2. nygladiator2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem Solved

Genius at the genius bar figured it out- I changed the name of the home folder (you can do it from the sidebar in tiger, which seems silly) and that screwed up everything else. Had to reinstall osx. All set now. Don't change the name of your home.

3. rmlx123 macrumors newbie

Yes, it does actually local. It has got nothing to do with the network that your computer was connected to before. It could be that once in a while, you need to update your folders and even some applications.:):):)