disappearing music...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by fisherking, Feb 23, 2014.

1. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

my GF called me over tonite; half of her iTunes library is missing. whole albums, even everything by certain artists...

i checked the music folder itself, and none of it is there. so, somehow....all these things were deleted.

unfortunately, she has a new backup drive (from november)...and none of it is there. so this is not new...

most of it's from amazon, so...replaceable. a bunch of albums from (no longer owned) cds. ugh.

the real question is: any idea what could have happened? it's clean, i.e. not one album has a song or 2 left, it's definitely entire albums.

weird...
    any ideas???

2. fisherking thread starter macrumors 601

fisherking

thanx, but...nothing that really applies here, but...will do some more research.
    any other ideas, anyone?

3. fisherking thread starter macrumors 601

fisherking

interesting thread on the apple forums about this, a scary number of posts.
    may be related to syncing with her iPhone... it's too clean to be random...

4. fisherking thread starter macrumors 601

fisherking

so...ran data recovery on the mbp...3 hours later, had THOUSANDS of mp3s, but no structure (and lots of odd-named files); her music is there, but a lot more stuff too (including files from 3 years ago, when the macbook was mine).

so really...useless. so 1/2 of her library deleted itself (possibly, as i mentioned, when syncing with the iPhone). unbelievable.

:(