Disappearing phobias: What's the story?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hello.there, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

For almost 10 years I had a morbid fear of......:eek:.......thunderstorms. Irrational blind terror, it was an exhausting and embarrassing experience, the fear wore me out.

Then, suddenly, the fear disappeared...well, it's 99% gone, I'm still not a completely happy bunny when the sky lights up.

So what happened? I didn't get any treatment, I didn't see any guru who might have cured me.....it just went.

Why? :confused:

Anyone else have a similarly odd experience?

PS For what it's worth, thunderstorms never bothered me as a kid, it was only when I got in to my late 20s/early 30s that all of this started up. It should be said, though, there were a lot less thunderstorms when I was a kid. Global warming, huh.

2. mikeypizano macrumors member

No but I have to say that I LOOOOVE thunder storms though. ;)

3. Hello.there thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

But what if you're struck by......no, no, I AM NOT AFRAID. Ish. :eek:

4. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I used to be afraid of sharks... then I learned that as a resident of Florida the chances are much greater that I will be struck by lightning so I don't worry anymore!:p

5. Hello.there thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

:D

Thank you for that srf4real, you've made me feel a whole lot better.

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I wouldn't call it a fear per se, but I used to get nauseous at the smell of Buffalo style chicken. I think it came from me eating some bad buffalo chicken at work one day, and then being nauseous for the next two, the first of which involved a 4 hour car ride. Not fun.
    But I'm getting over it. Now I get a hankering for wings (hot as hell of course :D) every so often. If they're hot enough, I don't get repulsed as much.

7. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

heh. Seriously, I'm glad to hear that the fear is leaving you. My philosophy is unusual I suppose... when it is my time to go it will be my time and it is mostly out of my control, except for the unnecessary risks I may take in the name of enjoying life. I refuse to miss out on life for fear of dying. I would rather die enjoying life.;)

8. jellz macrumors regular

Well I wouldn't say its disappeared, but I have this phobia of producing werid tummy noises. The problem gets really bad when I'm in a really quiet and packed environment. Its pretty serious, I've dropped out of college because of it. I avoid social situations as much as possible. Thank god for WorldofWarcraft!

9. mikeypizano macrumors member

Ahh yeah that would make it different:eek:! I have never been struck but I have gotten some shocks a lot. I was plugging a pug out once and touched the prongs by accident. It tingled...

10. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

I had a fear of heights when I was in middle school...couldn't even go on a roller coaster, too terrified of falling. It may have been because I started skiing, but I'm completely over it now. Planning on trying out (parachute) jump training as soon as I'm allowed.

I never had a problem flying, which was odd, even with the canopy pushed back on a small plane a family friend takes me up in every now and then.

11. ELECTRICFRIEND macrumors newbie

ELECTRICFRIEND

Hi,

New here and came to find phobia section straight away.

I too used to be phobic about storms (but the other way around ) as a child i was petrified, only for the fear to leave me as i entered my twenties, stangley enough i got scared of the last storm we had here about a year ago and im now 30 ! so make of that what you will....... im not sure why this happens.:eek:

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't like spiders, heights or tight spaces. Which is annoying because one of my best mates wants me to go caving with him and my girlfriend wants me to go climbing with her.

13. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I have a bad fear of doctors... I don't know why. I know they are here to help us, but I am always sketched out badly. :eek:

14. Nadav macrumors regular

I always had a huge fear of roller coasters, went on them several times, and felt like I was going to die. Then one day I decided to give a flip roller coaster a try, and I love roller coasters now. I've even been on kingda ka. :p I'm not really sure why I like them now, but I'm glad I do.

15. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

I had the common childhood fear of the dark. I like everyone else grew out of it.

16. BlackSnow macrumors regular

BlackSnow

I hate/fear needles and Heights but it seems I might have gotten over the needles thing. After doctors missed a vein 5 times I got more comfortable around them. Height, well, I still tense a bit at some rides but at least i got over my fear of jungle gyms and monkey bars.:)

17. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I had a girlfriend who didn't grow out if it.

On the plus side - the lights were always on during sex. :D

18. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

You already know the story about my time at the dentist, but, for everyone else...I went to the dentist and they had to numb me (with that big needle in my gums ._.) six times before I was finally pain-free that session. Unfortunately, I'm still terrified of them.

I have a terrible phobia of centipedes that I've had for a long time. It's really bad, to the point where I run away in terror, knocking things over and pushing anything out of the way as I go. There's also usually screaming/et cetera. I don't know why I'm so afraid of them, but, ugh...they're so disgusting.

19. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It is possible to grow out of phobias. Something clicks in the brain remembering all the other experiences and how you were not harmed.

I used to be a little claustrophobic, nothing sever at all, but now I kind of find comfort in small dark spaces.

I used to think I was just afraid of highs, but it turns out I get some major vertigo, so that one I don't think I will be growing out of.

20. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

I am sick fear of earthquakes in my country (lima, peru) are very common, I panic the F&$% out when I think my house is shaking....:eek:

21. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I have a phobia about being stuck in the middle of a group of people. For instance, I can't sit in a middle desk in the middle of a classroom. I have to sit in the very back row, on an edge.

The weird thing is I am perfectly find speaking in front of a large group of people. In fact, I enjoy it. Any sort of performance in front of people is calimg to me. But to have to sit quietly for an extended period of time is torture. My heart races. I start sweating. I feel like I'll puke. But as soon as I get out of the middle of the crowd or can finally leave a situation that I couldn't get out of before, I'm fine. Been this way for 12 years. It's getting better, I suppose.

22. BlackSnow macrumors regular

BlackSnow

When I was a kid I wasn't really afraid of the dark but more afraid of the walk to the bathroom in the dark.