disappearing songs??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by I'mAMac, Jul 10, 2008.

1. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

well after I put songs on my ipod, very frequently they just randomly disappear. Literally entire albums will just vanish. I always click "eject" before pulling out my iPod also. It is very aggravating and puzzling. If anyone has any solutions please help me out. Thanks.
    BTW, it happens regardless of whether the songs are bought off iTunes or downloaded off limewire.

2. careys7 macrumors newbie

I had exactly the same problem, it seemed to be on the sync after using the wifi store that albums disappeared, but then they just started disappearing randomly.

I contacted apple, where I was told "make sure that you transfer your purchases" - the problem is they disappear before you can do anything about it.

It seems to have stopped now, but there has been no change of firmware. It happened before and after I jailbroke (1.1.4). Weird.

3. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

4. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

5. HKeleher macrumors newbie

I've had issues where my Touch would lose all songs and music from time to time. I would have to ssh and delete the /var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control folder. This was preferable to my first method of restoring the Touch completely which was a two day process when you consider all of the customization I put in and apps I have installed and use. I wrote a post back in May about the process I follow when this would happen (granted, you're not complaining about losing all songs/videos but this could be related and too much information is better than none at all.) You can read the post here.

I was also experiencing another issue that was very, very, very annoying. Many videos I watched would flat out crash the Touch and cause it to reboot (usually audio would drop out and 4-5 seconds later the video would crash.) This made watching movies pretty much impossible without it taking twice as long and too much a pain (I had 4 reboots in the first 10-15 minutes on one movie.) I thought that maybe it was my encoder or the options I chose so I downloaded and tried three others. I normally use Super which has a lot of options that you can goof up easily but even the simple "click here stupid" programs had the same problem. Keep in mind that this issued was exhibited with some iTunes downloaded podcast videos though they would not usually crash as often. I bought the Touch with the primary reason of watching video on the go so this was not acceptable to me and I was beginning to regret making the purchase (32 GB = $500, ouch!)

So... that over long explanation brings me to what I searched and believed to be the solution to the problem...

There were a few scant posts scattered in the corners of the interwebs that folks using onboard USB connections had problems. Typically video skips, gaps, crashes and reboots. No one really nailed down models or motherboard manufacturers. Some hypothesized that the issue was driver related and that old drivers weren't fully 2.0 compliant or had bugs. Some said this made a difference but most didn't. What did seem to make a difference was purchasing a third party PCI based 2.0 USB card. Bear in mind that this problem was 9 times out of 10 a issue with Windows (or Wintel) based machines (not the OS itself, save the hate!) Macs typically did not if ever have this problem. I would have tried firewire but iTunes will only recognize iPods on Macs with firewire so this was unfortunately not an option for me.

Most 2.0 USB cards are between 15 and 30 dollars for the most part so I figured... why not? I purchased one from Newegg.com and installed it as soon as it arrived. It's only been a month since I started using it but I have not had a problem with music skipping, videos crashing, Touch rebooting or even the random deletes I would experience out of the blue! Now... bear in mind that this is not a definitive fix but it was a fairly cheap thing to try that didn't involve pulling out my hair! This could have been due to some app(s) I installed or theme I was using, who knows? Getting a 2.0 PCI USB card is at least worth a shot for those of you that have experienced some or all of these issues. Give it a shot and see what your mileage is. Hopefully it's as good as mine has been!

6. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Thank you for that detailed response. I'll try everything you said. :)