Disappearing space

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by archdelux, Nov 14, 2013.

1. archdelux macrumors 6502

Ever since upgrading to Mavericks, I've noticed that my startup drive just hemorrhages hard drive space for no reason in front of my eyes - I delete 5GB to free up space and the next day I have 500MB remaining (even if I only use the computer to web browse). I've used Daisy Disk to identify the culprit and can't seem to find anything..

I did find a ginormous iLifeAssetManagement folder which I understand is copies of photostream pics (40GB) -doesn't seem to be expanding, but I did delete this folder since I don't need extra copies

There is also a file in 'lost+found' entitled iNode taking up 4GB that I didn't notice before and a file in 'private' entitled sleepimage which is also 4GB, but total I should have 30GB that I recently freed that is just gone and I can't find it anywhere.. Any thoughts?

Running a virus scan now, but nothing so far..

Update: I also tried repairing disk permissions, restarting, restarting to safe mode and then restarting again, etc but nothing worked to stop the slow leak of harddrive space

----------

This is my activity monitor - I am currently running an antivirus scan hence the high % for that, I do not have iphoto open though, so not sure why photostream is so large or if that is the culprit..

2. archdelux thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You may have a hard drive dying. That lost+found folder is created when data is misplaced on the disk and fsck (disk util) recovers it.

Try a command-r boot to recovery and use Disk Utility to do a repair disk from there and see what you get.

Also run the Apple Hardware Test. Sometimes bad RAM can cause an issue like this.

4. chown33 macrumors 604

I strongly recommend only a "Verify Disk", then post the results. Be as specific as possible about the errors. Copy and paste is best, but may be difficult or impossible to perform from the Recovery Disk.

If the HD or RAM is malfunctioning, then a "Repair Disk" can propagate any existing errors, or create new errors when it tries to repair any errors it finds.