Disappearing SSD space

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by evaporateddwarf, Mar 10, 2011.

1. evaporateddwarf macrumors regular

I had about 93 free GB of space on my 128GB ssd. I installed spore, which brought it down, which then asked me to update it, which ate at another couple gigabites, then it asked me to update again, and then again. It ended up bringing my space down to about 85 free GB. However, Spore still only showed it taking up 4GB, and after taking it off my hdd, i only have 86GB left, and cannot find any Spore files. I feel like 7ish GB of space just moved out of thin air. I looked at major folders and system files, and can't seem to find where it went.

2. leman macrumors 604

Look in the Library/Application Support folders. Some software likes to install tons of stuff there.

3. macduke Suspended

macduke

You have 8GB of ram. So do I. My sleep swap file is 8GB. That might be it?

If you want to free up 8GB of space, go into terminal and type:

Code:
    sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
    To change it back, replace the 0 with a 3.

Note: the downside to this is that if your mac battery goes down to 0% while sleeping, any unsaved data will be lost.

Now, to remove the 8GB swap file, type this:

Code:
    cd /var/vm

sudo rm sleepimage

I was able to recover 8GB of SSD space on my new 128GB SSD ThunderBook. If you want to save more space, I recommend using an app called Monolingual to remove unused languages. You can also delete any unused printer drivers in your system folders. I recovered several GB just from printer drivers. Ones that I would never use, like Brother. My AirDisk and Pro9000 Mk II are installed fine and I deleted all the others. Why would I need them?

If you ever restore your setting to 3, then it will automatically make a new 8GB sleep image for you.

These settings work fine for me because I am an obsessive saver. Dealing with Adobe products, you learn to save all the time or you start to lose time and money from the crashes! Also I hardly ever let my system get down to 0% battery. If you're Mac has ever taken forever to wake from sleep, its probably because it had to wake from the hard drive sleep image. If this happens to you a lot, then this might not be for you.

As for other reasons it could have taken up space, I know this sounds dumb, but have you emptied your trash? Lol.

Hope this helps! At least it will save you some space.