Resolved Disappearing wallpaper?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by barredfreak, May 29, 2012.

1. barredfreak, May 29, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2012

barredfreak macrumors 6502

Hi. I own a late 2011 13' MBP.

Yesterday, I downloaded a wallpaper of the Internet and set it as my desktop picture. I then deleted the downloaded wallpaper from my computer. Today, when I logged into my computer, it was the default Lion wallpaper. Can anyone offer me an insight as to where my wallpaper went? Is it something that I'm missing? When I used to use a PC, I could still have the same wallpaper as my desktop picture when I restarted my computer after deleting the picture from my hard drive.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

2. dakwar macrumors 6502

When you set a picture as a wallpaper, OS X does not create a separate copy of it in some system folder. Instead, it always uses the picture from its original location (in your case, the desktop). If you delete (or even move) the original picture, OS X can't find it to display it as a wallpaper and so reverts to the default wallpaper.

3. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

This

What I normally do if I download wallpapers is place them in a specific folder for wallpapers that I put into my pictures folder. That way they are all neatly stored in one place and don't get moved / deleted; thus they don't disappear on me.

4. barredfreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you both. I will make a new folder in my pictures for my wallpapers, then.