Resolved Disappearing wallpaper?

barredfreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Hi. I own a late 2011 13' MBP.

Yesterday, I downloaded a wallpaper of the Internet and set it as my desktop picture. I then deleted the downloaded wallpaper from my computer. Today, when I logged into my computer, it was the default Lion wallpaper. Can anyone offer me an insight as to where my wallpaper went? Is it something that I'm missing? When I used to use a PC, I could still have the same wallpaper as my desktop picture when I restarted my computer after deleting the picture from my hard drive.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

Last edited:

dakwar

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2010
Hi. I own a late 2011 13' MBP.

Yesterday, I downloaded a wallpaper of the Internet and set it as my desktop picture. I then deleted the downloaded wallpaper from my computer. Today, when I logged into my computer, it was the default Lion wallpaper. Can anyone offer me an insight as to where my wallpaper went? Is it something that I'm missing? When I used to use a PC, I could still have the same wallpaper as my desktop picture when I restarted my computer after deleting the picture from my hard drive.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks. :)
When you set a picture as a wallpaper, OS X does not create a separate copy of it in some system folder. Instead, it always uses the picture from its original location (in your case, the desktop). If you delete (or even move) the original picture, OS X can't find it to display it as a wallpaper and so reverts to the default wallpaper.

Comment

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
When you set a picture as a wallpaper, OS X does not create a separate copy of it in some system folder. Instead, it always uses the picture from its original location (in your case, the desktop). If you delete (or even move) the original picture, OS X can't find it to display it as a wallpaper and so reverts to the default wallpaper.
This

What I normally do if I download wallpapers is place them in a specific folder for wallpapers that I put into my pictures folder. That way they are all neatly stored in one place and don't get moved / deleted; thus they don't disappear on me.

Comment

barredfreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Thank you both. I will make a new folder in my pictures for my wallpapers, then.

Comment