Disappointed Apple USB-C Charger

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by AZMecha, Dec 13, 2018.

1. AZMecha macrumors regular

AZMecha

Does anyone know why and or upset that the new usb-c charger does not have retractable prongs like the previous adaptor?

2. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

I'm guessing it's an up-sell type of thing, as usual from Apple when it comes to extras. If you want more power and a little more compact then you have to purchase the more expensive charger. I myself didn't realize it until I opened my iPad Pro 11. Glad I purchased the USB-C charger a year before, left the new one in the iPad Pro box.

3. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

I guess retractable prongs are an American thing... Why would you need them when the brick spends its life in the powerpoint? Wouldn't it add extra cost? Isn't it a moving part that could break?

4. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

I prefer retractable because of travel. They area bit more compact and not getting caught on things.

5. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

Ipadlover29

It’s too bad we cant use the apple extension cord with the new USB c adapter.

6. Nanotyrns macrumors 65816

Nanotyrns

The retractable bit actually slid off and could be replaced with an international bit. I would think that made it actually less expensive for Apple since the charge bit could be universal (110-240 V) and then just make the appropriate retractable bit for whichever country it was sold in. It has been fairly reliable. I've never had one fail on me.
    The sunset of the retractable bit is just another clear sign, along with no more MagSafe, that Steve Jobs is truly gone and not living secretly in a bunker somewhere.

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

I love the three pin retractable charger includes with the Apple Watch here in the UK. I wish all their devices here had chargers with the same design as they are much more practical and convenient for travel. Having said that I usually travel with an Anker Charger with multiple USB connections.