Disappointed at the store

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kenmoses, Jan 26, 2016.

1. kenmoses macrumors newbie

kenmoses

Just confirmed an order with the Apple Store online for my first iMac, a 21.5 model. I've had an iPad since the 1st Air model came out but this will be my first non-windows computer. I was disappointed to learn that the local Apple re-seller, Simply Mac, only stocks the basic models because I wanted to walk out the door with a new iMac today. The store employees were all really friendly and helpful but said the iMac I want would be a special order for them and it would likely be about 15 business days before it would arrive. The Apple Store online quotes home delivery by Feb 4th so that's a little better.

I'm nervous about it as a lot can happen along the way before the package arrives at my door. From where do these things ship anyway? Do they all come out of California? I'm in Colorado.

2. wepiii macrumors 6502

Well, they aren't built at simply mac, so your iMac is going to be shipped one way or another.

3. kenmoses thread starter macrumors newbie

kenmoses

Well I know that. Not really the sort of response I was expecting.

4. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

I have gotten a couple shipped. They are packed extremely well and you shouldn't have any problems.

5. wepiii macrumors 6502

Haha, I was just saying. I've gotten them shipped. Like the poster above said, it will be fine. Getting the computer you want is worth the wait.

6. theNatest macrumors member

theNatest

I received my iMac last week, in the Twin Cities, from California. Shipped to store via Fedex. I intercepted it at the fedex location (3 days before I was supposed to pick it up at the Apple Store) and they handed me the box flat instead of upright. I held in my concern - everything was fine. The packaging completely hugs the iMac and the triangle shipping box is awesome.

7. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

Apple's packaging is exceptional (you'll see when you open it) and I think that they could do everything short of running it over with the delivery truck and it will still be great. I wouldn't consider purchasing any other way. Direct from Apple ensures that you get exactly what you ordered.

My most recent Apple orders shipped from Sunnyvale, CA but have had things come from Shanghai, China in the past.

8. EdwardSmith36 macrumors regular

One should never be worried about the package, it is their lookout if anything goes wrong with the product. Just be care free.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I understand your concern, but I've always had positive experiences when getting a computer online.

10. IndyBob macrumors member

IndyBob

Like others have said Apple knows how to package their products. I have ordered several 27" iMacs for work and myself and never had one that was damaged.

11. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

Most reputable computer companies aren't going to ship their products in flimsy boxes, for that would be a sure way to get on the bad side of consumers. I think Apple goes above and beyond with their package, while I'm not tree hugger I think it's kind of neat that they use the least amount of packaging material as possible. ;)

12. kenmoses thread starter macrumors newbie

kenmoses

Thanks for the reassurances. My iMac was shipped from Sunnyvale January 28th but was caught up in the severe weather between Sparks, NV and Salt Lake City, UT and the delivery date rescheduled. I remain hopeful that my iMac will arrive by the middle of the first week of February.

13. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Apple is passionate about packaging. They consider the out-of-box experience to be part of the overall customer experience. Your wait will be rewarded. I'd say more, but why ruin the surprise?

But if you hate surprises, you'll find un-boxing videos on YouTube. If the video shows only the opening of the color-printed retail box (the box you'd have carried out of the store, had you purchased an off-the-shelf model), be assured that the retail box is shipped inside a second carton for additional protection.

14. killhippie macrumors member

killhippie

How do you think Macs get to the store? As others have mentioned packaging is second to none and the box design is brilliant. You should have no worries, unless its been run over by a tractor on the way ;)

15. kenmoses thread starter macrumors newbie

kenmoses

Yes, I know how products get to the stores. Thank you.

16. killhippie macrumors member

killhippie

So no issue with BTO then...

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You'll be fine, and if in the off chance something unfortunate occurs, call apple and it will be resolved fairly easily.

18. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You could of course have it delivered to the store and check it out there.

19. kenmoses thread starter macrumors newbie

kenmoses

Maflynn and Samuelsan2001: Sadly, my new iMac arrived here yesterday morning and was scheduled for delivery this afternoon but UPS, for reasons beyond understanding, sent it over the mountain to Denver only to be turned around, sent back here today and rescheduled for home delivery tomorrow.

BTO, hmmm...Bachman Turner Overdrive?

20. Daisy81 Suspended

Daisy81

I bought my 27" iMac directly from teh Apple Store. The box that the iMac comes in is inside a regular tan box. You open that box and take out the retail box. Inside the retail box the iMac is fully contained by packing material to protect it. My iMac shipped safely from Californina to Virginia with zero issues via FedEx.

Your iMac will have a much shorter trip to make to get to you.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Bummer, but stuff happens. I've had similar experiences where I waited for the arrival only to find out its not going to happen. Good luck

22. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I've picked up from in store:
    2007 20"
    2009 27"
    2010 27"
    2011 27"
    2012 27"

I've ordered custom build to order:
    2013 27" don't remember the order and delivery date
    2015 27" actually just arrived today, ordered on Sunday delivered Thursday.

and I've yet to get a bad apple.
    as for shipping sometimes I get early deliveries, sometimes I get delays, sometimes things are damaged, sometimes they're lost. I deal with quite a few shipments and you just have to let whatever happens happen.
    Either way you're going to end up with a new :apple: computer right? Cheers!

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I will say shipping estimates have improved, I remember getting an old dell laptop years and years. I took time off from work. I waited, and waited and waited, nothing. There was no online presence to see what's up. The phone support was useless. It did arrive eventually, but we have so much more info at our fingertips today.

24. cynics macrumors G3

Even actual Apple Stores don't carry much. They "generally" offer what is shown on their webpage, if you change anything about those options they need to have it shipped (BTO).

I'm a little paranoid like you (no offense) and have it shipped to the Apple store for pick up. This way I don't need to be home and I can open it and check for shipping damage in front of an employee.

25. ThrowerGB macrumors newbie

I've been using Macs since the beginning and have never seen damage while in the original packaging. One of the joys of Apple products is unboxing a new product. Why? I remember articles in the early days about how much research Apple put into packaging, both from a product protection point of view and the joy of the experience point of view. This was part of Steve's philosophy of user delight and his manic attention to detail. I still have my original Mac stored in its original packaging. Thank you Steve.