Disappointed by 10.5 Realities

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tapiture, May 19, 2017.

1. Tapiture, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017

Tapiture macrumors regular

When rumors for the 10.5 iPad first surfaced, they dipicted an all-new device unlike any we have seen before. It would be totally edgeless, with no home button, all packed into the 9.7 form factor. Skip to 5 months later, and most of these features have disappeared except the 10.5 size. It's not going to be edgeless -- it'll have significantly smaller bezels but will still have some, it will positively still have a home button, it definitely won't feature an OLED screen and it simply won't be the revolutionary device I hoped for to re-energize the iPad line. Initially I was considering selling my 9.7 IPP and buying one of these new 10.5 iPads, but now I simply won't bother. I'll hold on to my current 9.7 Pro until some real revolutionary changes come. I think it's unfortunate that once again Apple has held back what they can do, simply so they can release a new model every year. And I think this shows that iPad users will still stick with their models for 3 cycles and not become annual upgraders like Apple hopes for.

EDIT: OLED was mentioned in rumors about 10.5 iPad in reference to 2018 models, not this year's.

2. DNichter macrumors 65816

DNichter

I don't recall ever seeing anything about OLED or the touch ID under the screen for this rumor.

3. Dave245 macrumors 68040

I don't know where you have heard all those rumours but an OLED display was not mentioned by a reputable site for the 10.5" iPad, in fact it was the very reliable Ming-Chi-Kuo who said that Apple won't be putting OLED's into their tablet line until at least 2018. The looks of the iPad Pro don't really define it, for example the 12.9" iPad Pro is a beast and can handle anything that is thrown at it even after being nearly 2 years old! what the iPad Pro needs are more Pro features.

4. zone23 macrumors 68000

There's always one, new iPad isn't even out yet and this guys disappointed...

5. gifo macrumors regular

oh you' ve forgot to mention the rumor about the self-levitating iPad so you don't need to hold it...i honestly can't understand how an edgeless tablet should be used...

6. Tapiture thread starter macrumors regular

There were definitely assumptions of no home button because of the edgeless aspect of the rumors. Can't really be edgeless if it has a bezel to house the home button :p

7. DNichter macrumors 65816

DNichter

You can hold the side of the iPad or use it in landscape mode, which I am assuming most would with a large tablet. Apple also has that finger edge recognition software that helps with this.
    --- Post Merged, May 19, 2017 ---
    I could be wrong, I just never saw anything about it.

8. 007p macrumors 6502

Hardware never would have done this. iPad needs a major revamp in software not hardware to 're-energize' it. Launching one at WWDC hopefully means they have something planned for the software...

Aside from the specific pencil uses, there is little you can do with a 'pro' that you cannot do with an ipad air 2. OLED and bezelless screen wouldn't have changed this.

9. Dave245 macrumors 68040

The last I read about iOS 11 iPad features was that Apple was planning to let users annotate within safari and apps like mail, messages and so on. Other features may be under wraps at the moment that we just don't know about.

10. Tapiture thread starter macrumors regular

You make a very good point. Unfortunately I think that Apple would rather have revolutionary changes spawn from the hardware end because, after all, that is what people pay to upgrade, not the software.

11. gifo macrumors regular

yes, but you are going to cover part of the content with your fingers...

12. DNichter macrumors 65816

DNichter

I guess you have the option to adjust your fingers, hold differently, buy a case of some sort with side lips, or use landscape. I don't know, there are options though.

13. MacDarcy macrumors 6502a

I don't know if Apple is going to announce new iPad Pros at WWDC....but if I had my wishlist? I hope they announce 3 bezel-less iPad pros with OLED screens. A 7.9" bezel-less iPad mini Pro. A bezel-less 10.5" iPad Pro, and a bezel-less 12.9" iPad Pro. Now that'd be cool!... and a surefire way to re-energize iPad sales cross the board IMHO. Probably won't happen tho.

14. sracer macrumors 601

sracer

I find it puzzling that you thought the rumored hardware changes were... revolutionary. Those are things that already exist on non-Apple devices.

I own a bezel-less smartphone. It's terrific. But I don't find the bezels on my Mini 4 or 12.9 Pro to be an impediment, nor would I see reducing them to be a benefit.

15. JPack, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017

JPack macrumors regular

JPack

There's been a lot of wishful thinking and hoping.

I would suggest we stop using the word "bezel-less." Analysts with a good track record have never called the 10.5" bezel-less. It's a device with a "narrow bezel." Hence, it will have conventional Touch ID.

Same thing with the OLED iPad rumors. We would have heard something from analysts who look closely at JDI, SDI, and Sharp. They would have seen a huge uptick in orders for that display size. We haven't.

There's been a lot of wishful thinking with iOS 11 as well. Let's look at whole market strategically, not wishful iPad-centric thinking. There won't be many iPad special features in iOS 11 because the focus is on smartphones, peer to peer payments, home automation, and personal health. Look at the WeChat news. Do you really think Apple will devote significant resources to iPad when they didn't with iOS 9 and 10?

16. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

10.5 doesn't interest me.

Give me a 7.9 with pencil support.

17. Dave245 macrumors 68040

Maybe it doesn't interest you but it does interest other people.

18. DNichter macrumors 65816

DNichter

You're right about the first two. I never saw anything about "bezel-less" or OLED. iOS 9, however, was a pretty big iPad update as it introduced PIP and Split Screen. I'd think they would skip iPad centric features for iOS 10 and then introduce new advancements in iOS 11. It is wishful thinking, but it makes logical sense as well.

19. Relentless Power macrumors G3

Relentless Power

I do like your wish list. Aside from hardware, I would iOS to expand more and offer more in terms of what a PC offers in some instances.

Although, I don't necessarily think that will re-energize iPad sales. Especially when you consider the price point of the features that you want included would likely increase dramatically. Having more options is good. Especially for those who want a 7.9 iPad.

20. MacDarcy macrumors 6502a

I agree. I really hope Apple does release a Pro version of the iPad mini. You're right tho, iPad sales will never be like iPhone sales. Even if they release everything on our iPad wishlist. People aren't compelled to update iPads every year like iPhones. They are more like laptops in that regard. In fact, I could see people updating their laptops sooner than their iPads. You're also right about the iOS. That more than hardware is where Apple needs to focus their efforts.

21. Bravia3d macrumors newbie

Personally I think the iPad Pro screens are already beautiful and don't need OLED.

I been waiting on the 10.5 Pro and it will be a day one purchase for me!

22. nutriousmitten macrumors regular

Just looking forward to the spec bump to future proof it another year. That's why I've held off since Feb after having an IPP for two weeks and returning it. I would get a new 9.7 IPP, and not care about the 10.5 screen, so long as they did the processor and ram upgrades.

The real upgrade is when they go OLED without a home button, next year. The S3 is very nice and Oled is magnificent just like the Galaxy line of phones. But prefer my devices with a metal back if at all possible, not glass, so who knows what IPad 2018 goes with.

23. bufffilm, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017

bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

You expected a revolutionary 10.5" ipad?!

Bwah ha ha ha.

Oled in the 2018 iPad?

Bwah ha ha ha.

You are seriously deluded.

We got the pencil. That's it. Doesn't that tell you anything?

24. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

I actually agree with all of your sentiments, but we should at least wait until it's announced to judge the quality.

25. Legendts macrumors member

Just love all of our individual guesses on the what, where and when, not forgetting the wish lists. :D Don't stop guys. ;)