Disappointed in Screen Resolution MBP 13" (vs MBA 13")

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by William90, Sep 6, 2012.

1. William90 macrumors newbie

I'm planning to buy my first Macbook (first laptop as a matter of fact), but I'm really having a hard time to decide what MB suits me better: 13" Pro or 13" Air.

I'll be mostly doing everyday work on the Macbook: web-browsing, MS office, watching movies etc. However, the Macbook must be able to handle Windows for some casual gaming. Gaming is not the most import task, but the notebook has got to be able to handle games like CS:GO, SC2 and Skyrim smoothly (ofcourse not maxed out or anything like it). Besides every day work and gaming the notebook should be able to run Solidworks.

The thing is I like the Pro the most, but I'm disappointed in the screen resolution. I'd think it's called pro for a reason and the Air has a higher resolution screen (not necessarily better quality). 1280x800 is just outdated for a 13" notebook... I don't need a full HD resolution nor the Retina resolutions, but 1440x900 would have been just perfect for the Pro in my opinion. The downside of the Air is the ULV Ivy Bridge CPU. I don't have problems with the speed of the CPU itself, but the integrated graphics too are 'ULV'.

My budget is the price of the entry models of the MBP/MBA 13". However, I can update the hardware in the MBP myself to get some extra ram and a SSD. I feel the MBP is the better notebook for me, but I fear I might regret the purchase just because of the lower resolution screen.

2. Liquinn Suspended

Interesting. I have a 13" Macbook Pro and I guess you get used to the resoloution. Also you could always hook up the 13" MBP to an external display or two anyways :)

3. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Wait for Retina.

/Thread.

4. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I am happy with my 13'' MBP. You get use to it. It's not like you always have a rMBP next to you all the time to compare.

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

If you are disappointed with the low resolution simply rule out that device
    Why part with so much money on something you'll feel partial regret for?

6. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

You just have to decide if the resolution is that big a deal for you.

For me, it is not - the better quality screen on the MBP means more - the Air screen looks a bit gray and washed out in comparison - I can't look at it for very long or my eyes get tired.

Also, you noted that the MBP's RAM and storage can be upgraded down the road - that's not a viable option on the Air.

7. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

8. William90 thread starter macrumors newbie

"The thing is I like the Pro the most, but I'm disappointed in the screen resolution. I'd think it's called pro for a reason and the Air has a higher resolution screen (not necessarily better quality). 1280x800 is just outdated for a 13" notebook... I don't need a full HD resolution nor the Retina resolutions, but 1440x900 would have been just perfect for the Pro in my opinion. The downside of the Air is the ULV Ivy Bridge CPU. I don't have problems with the speed of the CPU itself, but the integrated graphics too are 'ULV'."

Read better next time, or simply don't reply!

I know what you mean, and part of me feels that you are correct. In my opinion however, Macbooks are the way to go for a notebook (OS wise, build quallity, quality of the screen). I've experienced and seen plenty of windows notebooks and I simply don't like them. I think build quality and design is important and no other manufacturer comes close to Apple on this aspect. I'm just trying to find out if I can find peace with the lower res screen of the MBP 13". It's either a 13" Apple notebook, or no notebook for me.

In time the optical drive will make place for a SSD.

Is 1280x800 to small to do everyday work on? Is there a chance that the 13" will get a 1440x900 res screen in the near future (retina update for 13")?

9. jamojamo macrumors 6502

Agreed. Get what you want.

10. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

NO.

The Retina for 13" will get 2560 x 1600, but it will still have the same useable space as 1280 x 800.

You clearly have no clue as to what you're talking about. 1280x800 for a 13" screen at 113PPI is a higher screen density than the 15" Macbook Pro running 1440x900. It is basically the same as the 1440x900 Air Screen.

You are just stuck on this primitive consumer notion of what is and isn't "outdated". The 13" Pro screen is a MUCH better display than the 13" Air screen, it's just sad that consumers like you won't realize it. :rolleyes:

Like I said, wait for the Retina display.

11. William90, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

William90 thread starter macrumors newbie

"Primitive consumer notion....." "Consumers like you....." Whats with all the contempt?

don't think because I'm new here you can lecture me :eek: I'm working on a two dell 24" IPS panels and I DO know that panel of the Pro, despite it's lower resolution, is of a higher quality.

I'm just wondering if screen real estate wise the 1280x800 is big enough for users like me. PPI has got nothing to do with my issue.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Wow, don't know what you want AND rude? you're going far in this place buddy.

13. William90, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

William90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Seriously? Now I'm the rude one? I'm not the one starting with all the contempt. But whatever, i'll let it go. Previous post edited.

I'm just wondering if screen real estate wise the 1280x800 is big enough for users like me.

14. xAgustinx macrumors regular

xAgustinx

Macbook Pro 13" is a great notebook, but as it is the cheapest "pro", you can't play all the games.

I have read that Skyrim doesn't run in macbook pro 13 (I haven't tried), you should need at least 15" macbook pro.

I play WoW and COD 4 without problems, and also Rome with low resolution.

For web-browsing, MS office, watching movies is a great choice. Actually, even when I use a retina iPad, I don't feel that the screen in my macbook looks bad.

As you said, in the pro you can add ram and ssd.

Maybe you should go to an apple store and use the 13" macbook pro so you can watch by yourself the screen, and decide.

15. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

No real estate will be too limiting in Office for productivity alone, i would go with the Air or 15" MBP. 13" Retina may be some time away my guess would be on the release of Haswell.

Going with a 13" at present is likely going to mean you will want an external monitor for either more work space or better quality of imagery. If you have no urgency i would wait on the next iteration as realistically Apple presently are not offering what you want in the 13" format, unless you are willing to compromise on work area or display quality.

Personally i would make the stretch to a 15" i have a 2011 Air and the display is passible for a device of its size, however definitely lacks the colour depth of the MBP`s. 13" lacks the power of the larger MBP`s and the resolution is frankly woeful for 2012.

16. appswipe macrumors 6502

I moved from a 13" MBA to a 13" MBP with 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD and 750GB HDD in the optical bay. Everything about my current setup is a plus for me except that screen res. It just feels outdated to run 1280x768 nowadays, but I put up with it because I know these models arent long for this world. So when the retina model comes out I'll probably upgrade to that and just make this a "desktop" and leave it connected to a TV or an old monitor.

17. stevelam macrumors 65816

well seeing as this is what you do:

"I'll be mostly doing everyday work on the Macbook: web-browsing, MS office, watching movies etc."

i'm not seeing how 1280x800 will impede your usage at all.

18. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

If you want the ability to upgrade later on, get the MBP 13. Screen real estate is fine.

19. EarthNeutron macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Yeah, there is a noticeable drop in resolution when comparing the 13" MBA with the 13" MBP. But I don't think it makes that much of a difference.

We all got used to the amazing Retina display found on the new iPad, the iPhone 4/4S and the iPod touch, that when looking at a normal screen, everything looks really pixelated.

My opinion is to either forget about this, everything on you MBP is perfectly readable, you don't really need a retina display.

You could also get an external display anytime you want..just be sure to get a 1080p one, so the ppi is higher than on your MBP and you can actually see the difference.

20. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

1280x800 will be fine for you - it will help with frames too during your casual gaming as the GPU will have less to push. You're not going to need 1440x900 as opposed to 1280x800 to view your e-mail either.

21. EarthNeutron macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Or...you could pay over 2 grand and get a Retina MBP :D

22. Liquinn Suspended

yeah true that. haswell's slated for march right?

23. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502a

His budget is the price of the entry level 13" MBA/MBP - so he won't be able to get a retina MBP, plus he said he doesn't need it.

24. bill-p macrumors 68000

Sorry to say, but I think... even the 11.6" MBA has somewhat more screen real estate (more horizontal pixels) than the 13" MBP.

And the screen real estate difference between 13" MBA and 13" MBP is very noticeable. So is text clarity.

The 13" MBP has another advantage, though: the glass layer on top of the screen is very scratch-resistant. It is MUCH easier to scratch the 13" MBA compared to the 13" MBP. Also on the topic of durability, the 13" MBA flexes and bends quite easily (being that it's so thin) whereas the 13" MBP is completely solid.

So you lose out in text clarity and screen real estate plus weight, but you gain durability with the MBP 13". Weigh your options and needs further, and I think you will make a satisfactory decision.

On a side note, when the rMBP 13" is released, hopefully with a thinner body, then I think it'll be the best combination of MBA and MBP in a body. I have the 15" rMBP, and I can say that... it does feel like the best combination of a MBP and a MBA. No flexing or bending. Completely solid body construction, and glass to protect the screen. So if you have the budget to stretch, I'd say... wait for the 13" Retina.

25. corduroygt macrumors regular

You can adjust the "usable space" in the 15" rMBP up to 1920x1200 and it looks great barring a few compatibility issues in some applications which will get resolved over time. Presumably the 13" rMBP will allow setting it to at least 1440x900, if not higher.