Disappointed in Speck Case

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macaroooon, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Macaroooon macrumors 6502

I bought the Speck Satin Case for my MBP and have been using it for about 2 weeks now.

I've taken it off and cleaned it to make sure no dust got trapped between it and the MPB around 4 times during this time, took it off this morning, and found little dots where the metal has specked off.

Very annoyed :(

2. cramazing macrumors 6502

pix?

3. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't have a camera so can't take one, but they are very small little blackish 'pock marks' and feel rough to the tough - where the metal has obviously flecked off.

I wouldn't care so much if it wasn't such an expensive laptop, and having forked out £40 in the first place NOT to have this happen.

4. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Are you sure it isn't the black plastic from the speck case? Have you tried to use a little bit of iKlear solution on the provided buffing cloth on the mbp? I had to gently file (sand) the edges of the speck case.

5. MT0227 macrumors 6502

Take a MF cloth and spray some glass plus on it. Try to clean the area with a fair amount of pressure. Both my kids have had Speck shells on their 13"MBPs for almost two years. About every 3-4 months I remove and clean everything; I have yet to have any issues with the finish of their MBPs.

6. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you both. I'll need to buy some of that solution, and give it a go. Fingers crossed.

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Hopefully it is something that can be cleaned.

I have never used a hard case for a laptop, I wouldn't really mess with them any further. Some have had success, but honestly they seem to do more harm than good. I would only recommend a sleeve or backpack/bag obviously if you need to carry it.

Plus it's hard to get them to not look ugly in my opinion.

8. rmbpuser macrumors 6502

you took it off to clean it 4 times in 2 weeks :O

what can dust do anyway? if you want it dust free you need to clean it everyday even without a case there is still dust you know.

ill take of my case to clean the laptop only if there is some obvious dirt or other thing stuck between them and i dont think this will happen anytime soon.

but yeah what happened is unfortunate i had to take it off once and it wasnt the easiest thing despite people saying speck its one of the easier to take off cases i felt like it had the potential to harm my laptop indeed.

9. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Its 2012, you dont have a camera or camera phone?

10. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Are you able to tilt the screen at an angle at which the Webcam could capture the damage? lol

11. borisiii macrumors 6502

That's why they call them *ahem* speck cases.

I'll let myself out

12. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Haha that was great.

13. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

That's just bits of dust and skin and dirt that got compressed along the Mac. The aluminum that composes the Mac's casing is consistent the whole way through - unless there's pitting, you're not seeing damage to the computer itself. Just use your fingernail and scrape it off.

14. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

Get yourself a cheap rubberized hard case on eBay ..I've had one for over a year and never had any issue with specks or any sort of issue.

15. kitzuki macrumors regular

kitzuki

I was thinking the same thing was going to post this earlier but work :/

16. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

lol nice.

17. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't have a camera phone atm, no.

And the marks are on the top and bottom so can't tilt camera to take a photo of.

18. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

If you can't get it off, it may have been because a grain of sand was cought under the case and pressed into the Aluminium, leaving a small, well, grain-of-sand-sized dent. I pity you for buying that speck case.

19. robvas macrumors 68020

20. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I have a Speck case and have no such issues. I hardly ever take it off and clean under it, MAYBE once a month do I do that. In fact, the plastic of the case seems to be pitted where the texture of the aluminum has abraded it in contact points.