Disappointed Siri is unavailable for iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EvilEvil, Oct 12, 2011.

1. EvilEvil macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

The tech is clearly there but they decide to keep it out to entice iPhone owners to upgrade. That's how Apple ropes you in with incremental updates and hype.

2. mms13 macrumors 6502

You might be right, but then again you might not be. Siri seems like something that COULD be really intensive on the CPU and the A4 chip might struggle with it. I really don't know though.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Are you trying to say this is a new tacit for Apple and iDevices? The iPhone 2G could have had MMS and tethering, the 3G video recording and AirPlay, the 3Gs 720p recording and FaceTime, the 4 1080p and Siri. Nothing new.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Clearly?

Which parts of the A4 chip are the same as the A5 chip and how does that relate to how Siri uses it?

I'm glad that's clear for you, because I really have no idea how all that works.

5. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

most i agree with besides the 3GS facetime. The appeal with facetime is the front-facing camera

6. djpuma macrumors regular

I used to be on that hype about apple leaving stuff out so you will upgrade. like no video recording on the 3g, but 3gs could.
    It's probably there, but Apple won't put in software on a device that can't handle it to their expectations.
    I had a jailbroken 3g and video recording was subpar.
    I think they left it out for a reason, but maybe when the dev teams jailbreak ios5 someone will do a side by side comparison with SIRI.

7. Jemi9OD macrumors regular

Jemi9OD

Agreed with others here. Just because the iPhone 4 is likely technically capable of running Siri, that does not necessarily mean that the user experience will be the same. Apple is very attentive to the user experience on their products.

8. andross77 macrumors regular

there is NO OTHER tech company that releases incremental upgrades in hopes of selling a product to a customer and making $$$$$!!!!

Apple is the ONLY company that does this!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. jwingfie macrumors 6502a

jwingfie

And making money is a bad thing?!?

10. adztaylor, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

adztaylor macrumors 68000

I think it is a mixture of it probably not running as well on the iPhone 4, plus Apple wants a standout feature for the iPhone 4S.

11. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

There could be a technical reason for Siri only being made available on the iPhone 4S but it's most likely just Apple being Apple, ie. Siri is the unique selling point of the iPhone 4S so it doesn't make business sense to make it available on other models as it would hinder sales.

12. Mackbook702 macrumors member

Yup, the A5 is definitely in the iPhone 4.

13. aneftp macrumors 68040

Well let's see.

Samsung releases Samsung Vibrant Galaxy S for t-mobile usa last July 2010. They took out the FFC that was supposed to be on the phone.

In Feb 2011. Samsung released the same exact phone and called it the Galaxy S 4G (this time with the FFC that they purposely left out (the original one had a slot for the plus added hspa plus). that's all.

So Samsung was even worse than Apple with it's re-release of the same phone.

14. EvilEvil thread starter macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

Uh the A5 is just an updated processor. Siri is all software.

15. ripper998 macrumors regular

Think he was being sarcastic

16. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

They would make it available for iPhone 3gs, Iphone 4... but than you would be the first one to call apple and cry ... why is your siri works so slow..

it's not only spec that matter... it's the whole experience

17. ripper998 macrumors regular

uh, siri has to use the A5 to process what you say and then send the request to the server. You think your sending a wav file of what you said over the net to the siri servers? The iphone 4 struggled plenty with some of the games and other apps out there, what makes you think siri would be a smooth experience?

18. theperipheral macrumors 6502

I don't know if you guys have seen the videos, but on the 4S, sometimes it takes a second or 2 to register what was said and to give an answer, maybe even 3 seconds sometimes.

The 4S seems to do everything at least 1.5x as fast as the 4, so imagine if you were on the 4, and it took 4, 5, or 6 seconds to get an answer to something using Siri. It'd get old QUICK. I wouldn't sit there and wait for it.

19. 2010RS macrumors 6502

Good point.

Now can someone please help me figure out why I can't get Adobe Creative Suite 5 to run on my Windows 3.1 machine?

20. kolax macrumors G3

I think this is a marketing thing just to give the iPhone 4S a bonus selling point.

Siri may very well struggle on the iPhone 4, but we'll find out once and for all once it finally gets hacked onto an iPhone 4.

21. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

Actually no. The worst one is Nintendo...

Remember... Nintendo DS, then DS lite, then DSi, then DSi XL... then 3DS etc.. rinse and repeat...
    Let's not forget... Gameboy, Gameboy pocket, Gameboy light, Gameboy color, Gameboy micro...

All with special limited edition colors with a specific game lol....

22. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The dev team has said they'd have to pirate, which they obviously won't do. Unless they figure out a workaround, iPhone 4 may never see it.

23. Saberj macrumors regular

It won't be on the iPad 2 either. And that's also running with an A5 chip.

24. bender999 macrumors newbie

Seriously people, you don't recognize sarcasm?? He even put in several sarcasm smileys to make sure you got it!!

jeez ... he answers the OP, makes a good point, and adds humor all at the same time and it's over half your heads :D

25. mouthster macrumors regular

Technically Siri is still beta, Apple's own words. Siri relies on Apple's cloud servers to process your voice and send back the results. What better way to roll out Siri then limit it to a brand new device? The impact of millions of users installing iOS5 on existing devices and using Siri all at once could tax the service to the point of being unusable and give it a bad name.

I wouldn't rule out seeing Siri on other devices later on.