Disappointed (so far)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cutta2k4, Aug 28, 2008.

1. cutta2k4 macrumors newbie

I am going to say what I think a good number of people feel and won't dare say explicitly as to not jeopardize their own exhaulted view of the phone and their purchase decision (and the bread they dropped on the damn thing).

My appraisal of the Iphone experience so far: A big flop in alot of ways!

1) Bugs Bugs Bugs..........I figured this would be the case with a phone just released.....but give me a break some of the bugs and firmware issues are inexcusable! I dont have to reiterate all of them....they are well known by most and have been chronicled prominently. We can conclude that this phone was a serious rush job.....Apple needed to let that bread bake just a little bit longer! Furthermore, the firmware releases so far have been useless and there effectiveness impossible to guage....in my case my phone has same bugs from before...no change!

2) 3G....YEAH RIGHT! I live in NYC and 90% of the time I have phone 3G turned off............its so spotty that it is useless most of the time. Double the Speed...........hardly! When I decided to switch off 3g it came down to one questin for me....Is keeping 3G on worth the headache and battery drain to get shabby browsing that fails to even approach advertised 3g speeds MOST of the time? No in my estimation! Edge it is.........I dunno if this is primarily a problem with ATT network or the phones hardware/software....but I have concluded they are at least equally complicit in this fraud.

3) Applications: Honestly, some are very useful and fun..............but lets be real here!.........60to70% percent of these applications are useless and trivial. I dont have to provide examples as they are clearly evident! There are some bright spots however and I applaud them and use them.

I have more gripes but these I feel are the most glaring ones and the central reasons for my dissapointment so far. I hope and pray that Apple gets to work on this device which is a good device with alot of potential.

This is my take.......others may have other views on it.....I know that alot of people are quietly disappointed and unimpressed like me however...........

Im already working on my campaign commercial against Apple.......

Announcer: "Apple said that the iphone 3g would provide Americans with double the speed from the old Iphone"
    Announcer: yet, most of the time 3g does not work, and has been "inconsistent at best" (PC world magazine).....thats not 3G we can believe in...................lol

advertisement paid for by Sprint and the new instinct

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You're wrong in your claim that most people haven't dared to criticize the iphone. The are more critical threads here than dropped calls on 3G!

I agree, the iphone is an unmitigated disaster.

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Even by the standards of MacRumors hyperbole that is one hell of a claim.
    ;) :rolleyes:

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

Good appraisal.

Seems like the iPhone 2.0 is off to a rocky start similar to the iPhone 1.0. Hopefully Apple will tweak 2.0 to be as solid as they got 1.0

As for the app store, all I can is that for having been in existence for less than 60 days, holy crap there's a lot of stuff in there, way more than I expected. And yeah, a lot of it is crap. But I still prefer looking thru one central store than having to scour Google and hunt down apps manually like I did with my WM and BlackBerrys.

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't use it lightly. Every one I know in my area who owns a 3G iphone is unhappy with its performance and no one can connect to 3G consistently. Apple blames AT&T and AT&T blames Apple--leaving cutomers screwed. The huge sales of the iphone are going to be followed by enormous returns if the next software update doesn't fix things.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

And independent third-party testing doesn't show anything unusual with how the iPhone antenna handles 3G (as compared to Sony-Erricson and Nokia), so now I think the fingers more back towards AT&T.

7. Max.Power macrumors newbie

The 3G LG I had on AT&T prior to the iPhone had EVEN WORSE 3G reception. The display always said I was on 3G until I tried to connect to the internet. After hanging for a minute, the phone switched to Edge, hanged some more then finally lost the signal completely. I must have rebooted that phone 3-4 times/day.

3G on the iPhone has been a dream compared to that. In fact, my whole iPhone experience has been great compared to other phones I've owned.

8. Jenheta macrumors regular

I have a 2G and it has been a great experience.
    I always thought that 3G is the natural evolution of this beast even though it does not justify ditching the "old" generation. I would rather have a new model with a better battery (even knowing that there is no current competition against the iPhone).

Regarding applications, why would someone believe that most of them should be useful ? They are from third party groups anyway. The important thing is to keep a programmer's base steady and solid in order to keep interest in this platform.

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I know, I read that story too. When I called AT&T last night and spoke with their tech, he refuted that report and insisted that all their other 3G phones work fine and that its only the iphone having the issue. I'm sure my experience is not unique.

What to do? It seems to wait for the update and if that doesn't work--return it.

10. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

I whole heartedly agree with you. :mad: