Disappointed that my 3G doesn't charge on all iPod docks.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by D-Love, Sep 24, 2008.

1. D-Love macrumors regular

My old iPhone, even if my car adaptor and alarm clock caused it to say "unsupported device", still charged and played on said devices. It just offered to go into airplane mode.

My new 3G does not charge anymore, yet still plays, on said devices. Is this Apple's way of making me buy more new s*** so as to make sure its "iPhone compatible"? The alarm clock is just a basic POS that I bought on sale, so I'm not TOO upset about that, but the fact I can't charge my iPhone over the installed dock in my car irritates me quite a bit. I used to be able to listen to music over it when on the road and know that it was charging my phone at the same time. BS, if you ask me. My old iPhone charged without a problem.

2. w4rmk macrumors regular

w4rmk

Yup I feel your pain. Even the Apple store employees don't know which systems are compatible with the 3G. I went into the store and really liked one of the iHome stereo's on display. I asked 10 times times with 2 difference employees "would it work with the 3G" telling them further "you know Apple discontinued support for firewire pin charging", neither of them knew what the heck I was talking about and they assured me that it would work because the display said "iPhone Compatible". Upon my further prodding I finally got one of them to agree to put a 3G iPhone into the dock and sure enough it came up with the "not compatible" message. One of them even tried to tell me that it would still work "ignore the message", yeah right!