iPad mini Disappointed with Color on Retina iPad Mini Screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ppdix, Nov 17, 2013.

1. ppdix macrumors 6502a

ppdix

I have a 32GB iPad Mini and just got a 32GB Retina iPad Mini. I also have a 64GB iPhone 5s.
    I am a Photographer and use the devices to show my work.
    I must say that although the sharpness of the new Retina Mini is incredible compared to the old one, the colors are as dull and inaccurate.
    I am very disappointed that, at first look, there is no visual difference between the two. Once you get closer and start zooming, the quality and sharpness of the retina are impressive.
    The iPhone 5s has a more vibrant and more accurate representation of the photos.
    I am on my way to the Apple store with my 2 iPad minis to compare them all to the new iPad Air. I bought the Mini because I always found the iPad to be too big and heavy to carry around. I did pick up the iPad Air a week ago and it actually feels pretty light and comfortable in your hand, but I wasn't even considering it because I expected the mini to be as vibrant.
    I already read some posts complaining about the limited color gamut of the Retina iPad Mini. Now that I see for myself, I am extremely disappointed and rather mad… I might return it and get the Air instead….

2. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

That would be the correct course of action for your situation.

3. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Is the difference really that bad between the Mini and rMini? I'm yet to see one up close, there's not in my local store (still).

4. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

Supposedly the gamut on the first gen mini was bad as well. Personally I can't tell the difference between any of them.

5. Akack macrumors 6502a

Difference is visible when comparing the rMini and Air side by side. If you still don't notice a difference then get the one that feels better in your hands.

If getting more vibrant and accurate colors like what the OP is looking for then the Air is a better fit.

6. hachiman macrumors regular

I did the same thing. I went to take a look at the mini, but I got the Air instead.

7. vince22 macrumors member

If your showing photos or anything that involved colors make sure its black and white only......

8. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

I can understand that, the Air screen is mint. But I was meaning the difference between the Mini and rMini.
    I want the rMini because of it's form factor, but with all these problems with displays and not being able to get ahold of a rMini in the Uk for love or money, I'm swaying towards the Air.

9. MacBird macrumors 6502

The mini really is not good enough for presenting photographs. The colors of the Air come closer to a calibrated monitor but I still have to see an Air with a panel that is uniformly lit and/or does not have the book spine issue on the left side.

I'm on the third Air now, the first two had the gray line on the left in portrait mode and the current one is yellowish on the left side and blueish on the right, which might be partially due to strong backlight bleeding.

For now I am going to give up on the iPad Air and will see if Apple figures out the manufacturing issues sometime next year. In the meantime, I will keep the iPad 3, it is slower but at least the background is uniform and it is less crash-prone than the iPad Air.

YMMV