Disappointed with Facetime video quality. Software issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mixolyd, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Mixolyd macrumors member

Mixolyd

Hi,
    My fiancee is away and we were facetiming when she noted that the video quality looked much better when I was using my iPhone 6 compared to my 2014 13'' rMBP. So i decided to test it out at home and called my iPhone from my mac, and yes the video quality of the iPhone is MUCH higher. I can see that the data stream is around 40-80kb/s coming from the rMBP and 220kb/s coming from the iPhone. Both are connected to the same wifi network. I tried Skype and the rMBP looked great and sent out at 200kb/s, so I know it's possible for the camera to do better. I just don't get why the quality is lower when using Facetime and why the iPhone is able to do it at such a higher quality?

I'm on El Capitan latest beta build but restored to Yosemite to test it out and had same results.

2. Mixolyd, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015

Mixolyd thread starter macrumors member

Mixolyd

I just Facetimed with my fiancee again. iPhone 6 to iPhone 6, incoming and outgoing data was 230kb/s. I called her back on my rMBP and my outgoing video stream was 25kb/s, her incoming stream was still 230kb/s. This is same wifi network. I then Facetime'd with my sister, she has a 2015 rMBP. Incoming (from her) it was going at 10kb/s, while my outgoing was at 80-90kb/s. I then called on my iPhone 6 and her stream was still awful at 10kb/s and mine was going at 230kb/s. Very weird and inconsistent.