Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve Jobless

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2006
I got my MBP back in August and since then I've continuously have had problems and now feel as though I've hit the breaking point. I've written about these problems in the past but have constantly put them off due to the fear of being without my computer. Such issues include the well documented buzzing, broken fan, over heating, some random software issues and now recently super drive issues. Today while trying to make a copy of The Sopranos Season Two Disc Three using Toast Titanium 8, it failed twice once at 78% and the second time at 68% and each time the same error, super drive stopped responding or lost connection. I'm honestly at wits end and have no idea what to do. This is the fifth disc I've "coastered" while trying to back up dvd's. Is there a way to solve this DVD/ Toast issue?(So I can back up some imporant files) Or just give up my fears and send it to Applecare and just rebuild everything from the beginning? Also by sending it in should I remove software such as Bitrocket, SMC fancontrol and Limewire Pro?

Thanks for your help and input.

polevault139

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2006
Illinois
If you send it in with some questionable software they may blame the problems on that. I have heard of AppleCare refusing to do service becuase they said ClearDock caused the problem. So better to be safe than sorry and get rid of those programs temporarily if you are going to send it in.

Steve Jobless

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Thank you, I actually do have clear dock, but surely thats stupidity on Apple's part software shouldnt be able to affect hardware like that.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
The DVD media you are using could be the cause of the problems you are having burning DVDs. Try a DVD-R from a completely different source.

Also, check to be sure you aren't tight on disk space.

Also, some piece of software could be affecting burns but it's unlikely.

djpl

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2007
You need a new superdrive

I have a MBP 2.16 CD 15" and after a while I was experiencing problems with my superdrive. Disc burns would frequently fail, and even worse, installer CDs would fail to mount. I ended up having to send it away to Apple and they replaced the drive and it works fine now. They turned it around in 4 business days which isn't bad. However mine still gets VERY hot. We'll see how that goes, but definitely worries me considering how cool my MBP C2D machine at work runs.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I think it really is in your best interest to send it in and get it fixed now, rather then wait for the Applecare to run out. Get the machine working great before you have to pay for the repairs. The error you are getting could be caused by a few things. First the Superdrive is frailty, or toast 8 loses the communication with the burner, or it could be the DVD media you are using.

The first thing I do with a burn error is to burn at a slower speed. I have only had a few errors while using Toast 8 and they came from the data I was trying to burn, and not toast itself or the computer.

Roxio is a trusted third party developer and I could not see how Apple would blame the issue on Toast.

A few things to try.
1) try a slower burn speed
2) try a different media (I like the sony DVD-Rs)
3) try a different program, (I.E. an OS X burn folder)

if these fail I would take it in. Letting them know the steps you have taken will also cut down the time your computer is away.

Steve Jobless

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2006
I have the burn speed set at best possible speed, I'll try tomorrow with 1x when I return from school.
I've successfully made 10 burns with my current multimedia, but I will try another later I have a TDK disk laying around somewhere.
I need to use toast due to the fact that I'm making copies of DVDs and like to use them in my DVD player.

I've had the same issue with disk four of season one of the sopranos, although i cant remember how i solved the issue, so it could possibly be the video_ts folders.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I've had the same issue with disk four of season one of the sopranos, although i cant remember how i solved the issue, so it could possibly be the video_ts folders.

Very true. Some DVDs have intentionally bad VOB files to prevent pirating. Most of the time appz like Mac the Ripper can pad over these, but some of the show up when tryng to burn.

absoluttl

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Vancouver, BC

Just got my SR MBP two days ago and I am having the EXACTLY same problem (same error message) but using Toast 7.01 burning a DVD-DL . The built in superdrive does everything excepting burning the DVD-DL.

then i hooked up my external drive (Lacie DL 16X/8X/16X) and everything works fine...i got a perfect disk... would appreciate if anyone could help out here!

I waited 4 wks for this MBP and i really don't want to send it back...

cheers,
Howard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.