Disappointed with new watch face options on S4?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jclardy, Sep 24, 2018.

1. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Anyone else feeling disappointed with watch faces on series 4? I like the idea of the two new infographic faces, but even Apple doesn't support them - no messages complication, no mail complication, no stopwatch complication - basically I don't want to use them because they make the watch less useful to me. How hard would it have been to add a messages bubble with a number on it? Also the heart rate complication could have shown your last reading, but instead it is just a circle shortcut icon. And with a weather complication in the "circle" mode needs two icons to convey the same info that you get with one complication on Modular (Weather condition + current temp)

And then what is worse, is to me the old Modular watch face looks much worse on S4 - there is just so much negative space because the screen is so big. So basically I'm swapping faces all the time trying to find one that I actually like that is actually useful at the same time.

I really wish they would have setup a color palette system for complications as well - meaning that the user could choose a single color for the entire watch face and the complications would swap to use different hues. Would have made the infograph watch faces look more formal rather than the rainbow burst that they are now.

I like what they were going for, but because of the limited system apps supported in the infograph faces I feel like I no longer have a goto watch face, any other upgraders feel the same way? I'm guessing this will be corrected in the next dot release, but still a pretty disappointing out of box experience.

2. Jason Honer Suspended

Jason Honer

I suspect that Apple will update these very soon. It's pretty silly that there is a moonand earth bubble on the infograph face but no mail, messages, etc. Messages would work really well in that top center area.

3. afjarboe macrumors newbie

If you put the heart rate complication in the top subdial, your most recent heart rate does appear just above the heart icon thingy

4. Dukat macrumors 6502

I love the new info graphic watch face but annoyed that not only does Fantastical not have a complication on it but no messages either which is one of my top used complications.
    Can’t imagine why Apple would omit such an obvious item.

5. mrklaw macrumors 68020

They really need to let us make our own. Have a few different sizes/shapes of complications and let us build a face inside the watch app by arranging them ourselves.

Eg I'd like the simple 'watch' face and date, but have a couple of the more detailed complications like calendar at the bottom of the screen.

6. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

Totally agree OP. I like the new watch faces but the lack of customization is baffling here. I'm not sure what Apple is thinking putting the AQI and Heat Index, but leaving mail, messages, etc off of the watch face. Its like they rushed it and forgot to add their own complications.

What's really troubling to me is the older faces aren't optimized for the new screen. The old Modular and Simple face are the same size as the Series 3 watch face. This is a major goof by Apple and I hope it gets fixed. As of now in my opinion only the newer ones look right on the watch face, but they are so limited I don't want to use them.

7. barjam macrumors 6502

Due to how they designed complications you have to basically create one for each new face type. It can be the same complication code but you will need to handle each type a little differently.

I wrote a compaction for an app I was working on and it ended up being like 5 code paths to work on all faces.

This also explains why existing apps will need an update to work with this face.

I am sure this was just an oversight.

8. Jason Honer Suspended

Jason Honer

I think you can adjust the face size in settings. All of my old faces take advantage of the new screen size.

9. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

No, you can't, and the old Modular and Simple faces definitely don't take advantage of the new screen size.

10. Jason Honer Suspended

Jason Honer

A76EB786-0CE8-45A9-9B7E-4F0BC2916791.png

Maybe I’m missing something but it seems like mine is pushed almost all the way to the edge.

11. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

That looks like to the edge to you? Look at the huge gap between the date and time and the top of the watch face. This is also very obvious in the Simple watch face as the corner complications are nearly as high as the infograph complications.

12. Jason Honer Suspended

Jason Honer

Sigh, I don't know man. the dot is at the very edge and so is the information at the bottom. This update does feel like a late beta to me but I am overall happy, I would likesome more useful complication on the Infograph faces.

13. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

Agreed. Yes the dot is at the very edge. The huge gap between the dot and text on the screen just looks really unbalanced to me. It should be larger than the series 3 face and it isn't.

I'm overall happy as well, but these little oversights need to be fixed ASAP.

14. jclardy thread starter macrumors 68040

jclardy

That would be great - let us use the photo face, choose background then drag the complications around however we want.

15. Lyons00 macrumors 6502a

Looking for the phone icon, to put on this watch face and I can’t seem to find it? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

16. Kantosam, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018

Kantosam macrumors member

I am so interested in this... Can we put one thing to rest? My Apple Watch Series 3 Simple, Color, Utility and Chronograph dials are 24 mm diameter. Can someone measure the diameter of these same dial faces on the Apple Watch 44 mm Series 4? Are they still 24 mm? Because -- just back of the napkin calculation -- these classic dial should take advantage of the ~ 30 percent or so greater screen size and measure at -- at least -- about ~ 32 mm. If they're still only 24 mm, that would be VERY disappointing... And just stupid...

17. vintagekeys macrumors regular

vintagekeys

I use the the one where the rings are colored, it only has a icon for calling on top left, top right is the day number.
    And then right middle the time.

I forgot the name of it, its simple but its enough information for me.

18. blwade macrumors 6502a

I’ve been underwhelmed at the options too.. like several people, I want the message compilation and it’s not there. The other stuff is flash and somewhat fun - I like seeing the weather range and heart rate range (heart watch). I don’t mind all the colors.

I also don’t feel like the old watch faces make full use of the screen.

19. Rangers94 macrumors 6502

Rangers94

Guess I’m lucky because I love the Infograph Watch face with 8 complications. Makes the watch much more efficient when glancing at.

It will only get better when Apple releases an update allowing more apps to be compatible like messages and phone.

20. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

The “favorites” complication is apparently supposed to replace phone, mail, and messages.

It doesn’t.

I’m sure somewhere they have data that people text/email/call the same 2 or 3 people 90% of the time (or something) from the watch, but they added a step and left out the other 10% of use cases