Disappointed with only 16GB iPhone??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zainjetha, Jun 19, 2008.

1. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

hi guys

just a quick question to gather peoples opinions or thoughts?

1) are you disappointed that 3g iphone not 32gb

2) do you reckon apple will follow same trend (drop 4gb, introduce 8gb and then after a while introduce 16gb) -----> (drop 8gb, leave 16gb as only model for sometime and then add a 32gb)?

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Right now it is impossible for Apple to fit 32GB into the iPhone and keep to the present size.

3. maceleven macrumors 6502

dont be there will be a 32 out in 2 months

serious thats how apples works:cool:

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Maybe 32GB for MWSF '09, but I don't see them dropping the 8GB, especially if it's available for $199 subsidized. :cool:

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why? How much larger would it have been?

In a way I am not bummed about there only being a 16gb, it is only that I 8gb is great for me except when I have to travel and I want to stick a few shows and movies on it. Then we're talking about hitting that 8gb real fast. Otherwise, for day to day use 8gb suits me fine so that means so would 16gb.

6. Jowl macrumors 6502

It would have been nice to have 32gb. Howver, I'm still running my iPaq with a 1gb SD card for storage - and it's nowhere near full.

Granted, I don't have an App store to fill up my device!

I intend to watch some recorded TV on the iPhone - and perhaps some music. Bit I'll be deleting the TV once watched and I doubt I'll have more than 1gb music on.

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

As things stand there is no room on the circuit board for 2 X 16GB chips… the iTouch has got the extra space hence 32GB…
    As soon as manufacturers come out with single 32GB chips (at a reasonable price of course) Apple will be using them.

Just… not yet… :eek:

8. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

8gb seems to be their sweet spot.

Just look at Nanos, those are hot sellers at only 4gb and 8gb. Only the real audiophiles are concerned about more space, and that is a minority.

I have a 16gb phone and I have to struggle push past 9gbs even though i have 20gb's of music or so.

9. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

Yep. 32 would have been perfect. Such is life, though. 16 will suffice.
    What would have been really nice would have been an sd card slot. It's incredibly useful for sharing big files and taking a card directly out of a camera and dropping it in to immediately email pictures from the field. I will say, that I among other reasons, if they only offered 8 I wouldn't pull the trigger on an iphone.

10. brandonzar macrumors regular

I just have the 16GB touch (I've been waiting for iPhone 3G) but I think that the 16GB is plenty for my needs. I only have about 3.5GB of music and 1/3 of that is my wife's so there is plenty of room for movies and TV shows, especially if you encode them yourself with a program like handbrake. You can set the resolution to "iPod low-rez" and fit a ton of stuff on there, there is a slight visible difference in image quality, but it still looks good and takes up half the space of the "iPod high-rez setting or the stuff you buy in iTunes. I guess a lot depends on how much media you have and how many apps you buy though.

11. Asar macrumors regular

12. tritonj macrumors 6502a

currently there isn't enough space to solder another chip on the board. but i would say chances are good that in the next few months the chips will either get smaller or capacity for the current size will get larger, enabling more memory for an iPhone, how fast Apple implements the tech i think will be determined by how much they want to milk current product, which we won't know for a few months after there is data about how iPhone 3G is doing

13. Paul S macrumors regular

People will always want more. If they had put out a 32GB, there will be threads asking about where the 64GB phone is. For me, the 8GB will be fine. My Blackberry has a 1GB card and I've learned to deal with it. Going up to 7GB, I won't know what to do with myself. :D

14. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Hell, my 4 gig iPhone is keeping me perfectly happy :D

I tend to spend most of my time doing things other than watching movies on my phone, so I have most of my music (I have a small library) and a few silly videos on there that I watch when I need a chuckle. 8 gigs could hold ALL my music and ALL my videos to be honest :rolleyes:

Yes, I suppose I'm not normal. I can live with that :)

15. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I thought there were two options for a 32Gb iPhone.

1. Put a single 32Gb chip in it. (very expensive so not for a while until the prices come down).
    2. Put two 16Gb chips in it. (Porbably won't happen due to space)

My bet is on #1 since it is just a waiting game and not a redesign issue.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

From what I have heard on here (which means you KNOW it's true), the extra space in the Touch is possible because there is no celluar or GPS stuff in it. That's where the extra module goes. The way tech goes, there will likely be a 32GB chip available later this year. Companies are investing in SSD technology, so they're likely to keep working on flash stuff as it takes over the storage market.

17. amysig macrumors member

For an iPod, yes 4gb (1000) songs is the sweet shot for average users. But when we look at the iPhone, with goals to become the mini computer in your pocket, I'd like to have 32gb. I'd like to have documents, a movie or two, tons of music, applications with local databases (news downloaded from web, blogs, etc).

18. elbirth macrumors 65816

I was really hoping for them to upgrade the iphone to 16/32gb but unfortunately that was too much to ask for

I currently have a 16GB iPod touch and it's not big enough for my whole music collection, so 16GB is too small for comfort for me.

Having said that, I had already made up my mind at the launch of the original iPhone that I was going to wait until the 2nd generation and now that it's here, I'm accepting what's offered. While I would like to have my whole music collection with me at all times with room to install various apps from the app store, you have to look at it from a more realistic perspective... you go through phases of what music you're in the mood to listen to, and since I'll have access to my computer every day, I can change the music up whenever I want to. What I plan to try doing, is make a smart playlist in iTunes that collections my top X number of played songs. Then, make another playlist that will be for any other specific songs/albums I want to put on there. Then I can sync those playlists to the iPhone and have my top music available on the go and have room for apps. Is this ideal? Not at all... but it'll help me from being a slob and having a ton of music I almost never listen to.

19. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Honestly I could care less if they come out with a 32 gb. I'm totally happy with my 8g. It forces me to make playlists and be choosey about what I put on. I went from a 16g Touch to the 8g iPhone and I really haven't noticed the difference. Even with over a 100gb's of music and videos.

20. McBob macrumors member

This all being said it seems apparent that when the 32GB iPhone comes out we should begin seeing the 64GB Touch. With the current design once the chips are out and affordable the Touch will always be ahead of the iPhone unless there is some future re-design.

Everyone should keep an eye out for any products that are known to be using single chips so we can gage when Apple may take the plunge. A quick look on google turned up no results, only replacement drives for computers unsuitable for portables. I suspect we'll start seeing them before christmas.

21. zainjetha thread starter macrumors 6502a

64GB touch? this would cause a little too much competition for iClassic 80GB.. either one or the other will survive.. and it will be the touch ofcourse... so that means they will only have one model of the classic being the 160gb? is this really feasible?

22. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Whats wrong with the touch winning? Also, there could always be a 250gb or 320gb classic by then if the 1.8" hard drive market advances. Or they could even put flash memory into iPod Classics and make them thinner for those who still enjoy that interface.

Also...why do so many people think it would be hard to put a single 32gb chip into an iPhone? Does anyone know the physical dimensions of the iPhones chip? 32gb CF cards have been around for awhile now, with the cheapest going on NewEgg for $115. Although Apple does have to leave something for a mid-cycle upgrade like they did with the iPhone v1. I will admit that maybe the memory inside CF card enclosures might still be too big for the iPhone. Is there any way to tell?

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'm a bit disappointed that there is only a 16gig. It's actually put me rather on the fence about a purchase (I already have a 16gig touch).

24. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I would have loved to see a 32GB iPhone 3G, but as pointed out the technology is just not there yet in terms of the space/size requirements of fitting 32GB into the current iPhone form factor. I do think with the integration of PA Semi there is a greater chance of capacity increases as Apple is always more comfortable moving more quickly when its deploying its own technology rather than relying on other manufacturers.

Anyone have thoughts on when we mght actually see a capacity increase on the 8/16GB iPhone 36 models? I doubt it will be as quickly as last time in light of the angry reaction it caused and due to the fact that Apple is rolling out the upcoming 3g version in cycles around the world.

25. elbirth macrumors 65816

I kind of doubt we'll see 32GB as quickly as we saw 16GB as well, but my biggest concern is... whenever they do release a 32GB model, what will happen to all the people that have signed contracts for the iPhone 3G and want to upgrade to the higher capacity device when they realize 16GB just isn't cutting it? There's already a lot of drama going on about not everyone being eligible to get an iPhone 3G and you can't buy it at the unsubsidized price... would they offer an option to let the early adopters be eligible to purchase the large capacity?