Disappointed with Samsung 850 EVO write speeds using Inateck USB 3 Enclosure

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bootz, Mar 7, 2016.

1. bootz macrumors member

Using Blackmagic, the write speed to my Samsung 850 EVO is topping out at 150 MB/s. The read speed is great, hitting 500 MB/s at times. I'm using the Inateck FE2007 (USB 3 with 3-port hub). My hardware is a rMBP mid-2012 running OS X El Capitan.

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

What is the speed when connected directly without a hub?

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The Inateck FE2007 has a 3 port USB hub built-in to the enclosure - all one piece.
    The site says that it supports UASP, and should give you good speed with an SATA drive.

That being said, you may want to try a different USB cable, or a different enclosure (might be the SSD itself, and you should check for firmware updates?)

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

No problems using an FEU3NS-1E with a Samsung 840 1TB. That enclosure definitely does UASP and lets you have read and write speeds in the 400+ range.

http://www.inateck.com/inateck-feu3ns-1e-usb-3-0-superspeed-hdd-external-enclosure/

With an SSD you don't have a motor and exposed electronics to protect. You can use a simple cable that is USB 3 on one end and a SATA III controller on the other end that does UASP. That combo can save a little space in a briefcase or camera bag.

http://www.startech.com/HDD/Adapters/USB-3-SATA-adapter-cable-with-UASP~USB3S2SAT3CB

5. bootz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. This SSD was used in a Windows PC in the past and I did use the Magician software to enable Over Provisioning and RAPID Mode. I guess I should try and connect it to a Windows machine and revert back to the Magician default settings (no Over Provisioning and No RAPID mode).