Disappointed with Stacks? Maybe that would help a bit

Discussion in 'macOS' started by petvas, Oct 26, 2007.

1. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I am one of the apparently many that didnt find Stacks so good. Actually I found it to be a downgrade compared to Tiger. Especially as an application launcher I thought that Stacks isnt as good as in Tiger.

I found out that when u click on the programs stack, then typing the first character of an app, the cursor goes there and u can use the cursor keys to move through the apps. Now I can use stacks as an apps launcher and I am happy about it because it looks also great!

2. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I'll have to try this! Although i still just use spotlight for app launching. No need to click anything then.

Also if you right click (or try click-hold) you can get the older contents menu.

3. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

How can it be a "downgrade" compared to tiger, when tiger didn't offer the feature?

4. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Actually it did, in a different way. The user could drop a folder on the lower right corner. Clicking on it will open the contents of the folder in finder. Right clicking on it would display all contents! Actually it worked much better than now!
    At least now using the keyboard I can still use it as an app launcher

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

He is talking about this, which Tiger always did:

Picture 10.png

Personally, from what I've seen, I'd also prefer the older Menu style. I don't really get what "Stacks" is supposed to be, or how it is different from what was already there (other than being a fan-shaped display rather than a regular Menu).

EDIT:

Oh thank god I was wondering about this. I use it all the time to launch Applications and open Documents.

6. mashinhead macrumors 68020

a stack is the same thing as draging a folder to the dock in tiger. the only difference is now you don't have to close the finder window. it closes by itself. that's all it does. and maybe it looks better.

7. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

When you open a stack in grid view you can also use the up/down/left/right keys to navigate.