Disappointed with the AudioEngine A5's

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aleksivic, Mar 16, 2008.

1. aleksivic macrumors member

aleksivic

Hi Guys,

Recently I bought the Audioengine A5 speakers (upgrade from my iPod Hi-Fi) due to the overwhelming positive reviews these speakers got.

Unfortunately, I cannot see why these speakers are so rated well.... For $500, I'd expect these would provide more clarity in all three range (lows/mid/highs).

Sure these have great high's but the built-in sub seems to overpower the mid-range... I think it may be targeted towards people who prefer a lot of boomy bass to shake the walls but these do not come close to a decent monitor or produce clear sound as the iPod Hi-Fi.. Overall, I'm so very disappointed with these speakers..

Although since I'm open minded :) I want to hear what you guys and gals have to say about these Speakers.....

Thanks,

Aleks

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

What can I say. Reviews on the web are kind of worthless as it's dependent on the experience of the person. Audio is particularly bad, especially for stuff like midrange headphones for iPods, computer speakers or speaker docks, because people would have usually moved up from crappy articles and are experiencing the joy of having something halfway decent for the first time.

Ultimately if you don't like it, you don't like it and it's not going to change - so it may be worth unloading it ASAP and going for a pair of decent nearfields from a known 'name'.

3. macsander macrumors regular

macsander

I think it are amazing speakers, far and far better then any pc speakers(2.0, 2.1 or 5.1) These must be compared with 1K speakers, maybe yours were broken?(Or you don't know what good sound sounds like:rolleyes: )

4. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Make sure you break them in as recommended. Then please get back to us.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

agreed, but these are not the 2.1 or use of $500 that I would recommend. If your eally think they are bad you can try to return them. But, you need to make sure that you have heard other models to verify that yours are bad.

6. ejack24 macrumors newbie

I've been planning to pick up a pair of these soon and must say that yours is the first bad review I've seen. I've never heard anyone else describe them as being too heavy on the bass. Have you tried them with an uncompressed audio source?

7. iondot macrumors member

Not disappointed

I've had the Audioengine 5's for several months now and I am in agreement with the many positive reviews.

I am not an easy person to please. In fact, I'm highly prone to complaint. (I have a whole blog on the subject here: http://www.1000demons.com)

I have to assume that the original poster either had a defective pair or had a problematic source. If anything, the Audioengines are generally a slight touch light on deep bass and are anything but booming.

8. macsander macrumors regular

macsander

Agree, I visited your blog site, I think it's great man, it made me laugh, especially the car incident story haha. If I may ask, how many unique visitors do you get and how do you get/attract them? I was also thinking about beginning a blog but I don't know how to get a decent amount of readers.

Again it's great keep on going, I will be reading if it for sure from now on!

9. iondot macrumors member

The blog has been going for about six months, but the readership isn't particularly large - on average fifty or so people a day - so I may not be the one to ask.

In general I had been hoping that the combination of illustrations and content would bring people, but it seems the only truly effective thing to bring numbers is controversy.

In fact, the whole thing that led me to buy the AudioEngine 5's was this post:
    http://www.1000demons.com/2008/03/no-22-audiophile.html

and then my subsequent apology for that post:
    http://www.1000demons.com/2008/03/no25-mirror.html

... which led to a good recommendation.

Hopefully that will help keep this thread somewhat on topic!