Disappointed

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by farmerku, May 21, 2008.

1. farmerku macrumors regular

farmerku

:mad:

So today was the day I've been waiting for..

I woke up and went to the bank to deposit some graduation checks and then I headed off to the Apple store at my universities book store..

Well they were freaking out of Black MacBooks which infuriated me!!!

So I was forced to drive 50 miles to Kansas City to a Best Buy to get my beloved new MacBook..

I had the darn thing in my hand and walked up to the counter to purchase.
    Well my grad checks had not all cleared yet and my debit card told Best Buy I didn't have sufficient funds which left me with no option but to leave.

I know my checks will clear tomorrow but I'm not one for waiting!

Does anyone know if Best Buy has a check scanning system that will check my account for the available funds? I'm not trying to rip them off cause I have the money, but I have to work the next three days and wont have time to get one till Sunday.

Let me know if anyone knows anything about Best Buys check process.

2. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

I wouldn't trust going to Best Buy, period. It would be more worth it if you went to another Apple store or waiting for new BlackBooks to arrive at the one you were just at. Things at Best Buy (especially MBs) might not have the full benefits as you would with the Apple store.

About the checking process, as long as you have the waiting period to clear the checks, that's the only way you can make it through. Things take time, and patience. ;) You gotta wait.

Speaking of Kansas City, I am going on a week long trip there in mid July this summer, right after an exchange program to Japan for almost a month beforehand. I'm all the way up here in Seattle, WA. Never been that far east before! :D

Anything cool in Kansas City I should look at while I'm there?

3. farmerku thread starter macrumors regular

farmerku

there is not too much to see in Kansas City to be honest. Though I would HIGHLY recommend stopping by a few barbque joints because its pretty damn good in KC. Check out the Plaza and maybe catch a Royals game but thats not too terribly exciting either. If you are there for a week you might consider a trip up to Lawrence,Ks which is where I just graduated from KU. Its a beautiful town and I would recommend taking a trip to Phog Allen Fieldhouse because it has a ton of history... I mean basketball was invented by James Naismith who started the program here and we named our court after him. It's an amazing place but I really don't know too many exciting things to do in KC that you can't do anywhere else.

What do you mean that the benefits from Best Buy aren't the same?

4. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

I know how you feel as I am one of those I want what I want when I want it guys myself. But just imagine how much sweeter the fruit will be if you are patient and wait. Oh who am I kidding I would drive to Houston or whatever the next city is. Good luck to you.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Most electronic stores will not accept checks for computers, phones, digital cameras, and things along those lines, and those that do would definitely call the bank. Don't feel bad, it's well worth the wait. Don't forget to ask for the Education Discount; just show them your school ID card. Good Luck tomorrow. :p

6. farmerku thread starter macrumors regular

farmerku

Its A Go!!! Checks Cleared And Im Grabbing Coffee And Driving To Kansas City!!

7. radellaf macrumors newbie

Buying a MacBook at Best Buy

Actually, they could have more. I had a problem b/c my new MB had some issues and I should have just exchanged it at BB, but went to the Apple Store thinking it'd be a quick (2-3 day?) repair... and, it spent about 2 weeks here and there, eventually ending up with them, indeed, just giving me a replacement.

So, partly my fault, given that it was the 1st week, should have exchanged it at BB.

Anyway, the advantage is that you _can_ get the BB warranty instead of AppleCare if you buy it at BB, and it covers more things. Surges and accidental damage (to some point). I think the coverage was a little less money too.

So did I? No. Why? Best I can tell, irrational brand loyalty. AppleCare "felt" better.

I can tell ya, though, I'm definitely taking any future repairs to a local authorized shop rather than having the retail store mail it out to Kansas or wherever. That way I can use it while they order the part, and I can ASK THE TECHNICIAN what's going on with it instead of trying to get through several levels of Apple "customer service" people, none of whom can tell me anything that the tech hasn't typed into the service ticket.

** The issue was primarily the internal iSight whine problem. If camera was on and you used the mic, you'd get a whine (varying with the scene) in your audio. Same goes for if the backlight was at anything but 0 or 100%. And, the fan made some noise, sometimes, when you pressed on the palm-rest areas. That last thing, of course, an intermittent, is what held it up for over a week.

The new one? Still has some whine, but much less. I suspect they all have it to some level. I dunno - anyone willing to check? Make a video recording (QT pro, BBtv maybe) with the mic gain at max, in a quiet room.

And, to be fair, I tried my old iBook G4. No camera, but sure enough, there's a little whine if the backlight isn't all the way on or off.

8. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I am surprised the checks cleared so fast. Usually there is a 7 day hold on checks.

9. Zadiek macrumors member

I live just outside Kansas City, and I also love the Jayhawks! Rock Chalk! Enjoy your new toy. I love my macbook!:)

10. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Credit cards were made for a reason. Build up your credit and pay it off right after. Plus, you will get rewards if it is a rewards card.

11. maclawlz macrumors newbie

Good job sharing your dumb story. Enjoy your finger print magnet.

12. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Way to post negative stuff in a Mac Fan boi community.

Are you asking for a ban? lol