Disappointing brightness at lower levels

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dasb0t, Nov 19, 2016.

1. dasb0t macrumors newbie

I went testing the non toucbar version on MacBook Pro 2016 on the local store yesterday. The screen was amazing - on full brightness. When I compared the screen side by side to 2015 version of MacBook Pro I noticed something worrying. On MAX brightness MBP16 was way better and brighter than 2015 version. When I set both screens 10 clicks from MIN brightness, I noticed MBP16 screen looked a bit darker than MBP15 screen on 10 clicks. I was quite a bit surprised.

Does anyone else has same kind of observations?

2. Hyloba macrumors 6502

What is the problem then? Was there any difference between the lowest level of brightness?

3. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

Isn't brightness just software controlled, so Apple can change the scaling as/when...if they want?

4. priitv8 macrumors 68020

What kind of objective measurement these 10 clicks are?
    I mean, their stepping does not need to be the same for every model (or panel) line.
    If you do anything serious with it, you'd calibrate it to specific light output anyway, not just the length of slider.

5. dasb0t thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know if there is a problem, it just seemed weird. I tend to squeeze every bit out of the battery usually as I don't like to carry power brick with me during the day so I am kind of used to that every click up on brightness can be seen on time remaing on battery. Also it seemed a bit weird that brightness was increased first very modest by every click but in the end a lot more by each click.

6. Rkuda macrumors regular

Rkuda

Apple says the screen is more power efficient despite being brighter. So just set the brightness level to whatever works for your lighting situation.

I can't believe there are people here who are literally"disappointed" because the brightness of the screen is different from a different model with a completely different screen by comparing the number of notches on the brightness HUD.

7. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

With the attitudes displayed in this forum lately, it doesn't surprise me anymore. :(

8. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I noticed this with mine as well, the lower levels are much dimmer and at above 75% the ramp up seems really quick. Overall it is better just because you have more range, the only weirdness is the seemingly non-linear scale.

9. jschu22 macrumors regular

Because...The Internet- Bringing new *******s into your life daily.

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

To me this suggests that the new display has more control. Being able to dim the brighter display to lower levels is a distinct advantage, as there can be conditions where you don't want to be blinded. As Apple uses 16 points of graduation it`s logical that the 2016 MBP`s far brighter display will reduce by a greater percentage per each graduation, or at it`s lowest level it would be unreasonably bright.

Q-6
    --- Post Merged, Nov 19, 2016 ---
    I get that as Apple uses 16 points of graduation, makes sense in my mind, so you have a finer control in low light conditions, for bright conditions it`s less relevant.

Q-6

11. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

The scale of brightness isn't the same... but the scale is wider (it gets brighter and darker).

You're like Spinal Tap, putting their dial up to 11. This is an insane complaint.

12. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

The number of clicks doesn't equate to how much power is consumed. In other words if they're both on the same "level" (# of clicks), and one display is dimmer than the other, it doesn't necessarily mean the dimmer one is less efficient. One just has a different "level vs light" algorithm built into it's programming and I wouldn't put more stock into it than that.

On a side note I find it hard to believe these new Oxide TFT panels consume more power than the outgoing models. You're fine, just fight your anal retention to use 10 clicks.