Disappointing hands on videos

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pmau, Sep 14, 2014.

1. pmau, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

pmau macrumors 65816

I seem to recall that there were much more extensive hands on videos bz people like The Verge or whomever.

I'm not talking about reviews, I'm talking about first looks after the keynote.

I just found three really shaky and short videos that randomly swiped across the screen, only one actually opened iMessage to show the new landscape mode.

This is to all the people who are invited. Please try to make better hands-on videos.

The venue seemed large enough and the iPhone 5s event hands-on videos even demoed Touch-ID registration and usage.

Last year, even slow-motion and panorama were demoed at the event.

I have not seen any reasonable demo of an existing App that talks about scaling, or the camera. The coverage was really poor.

EDIT: OK, just edited a few really bad grammar f'ups. But my opinion is still the same ;)

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Not to be rude but i don't think their writers and editors are on here to respond to you. Wait 3 days for the embargo be to lifted.

3. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I agree completely all of the hands on videos I have watched have been just meh. Lots of swiping pages back and forth and mostly just holding it while talking about it. Didn't see anyone try and type in landscape on the plus (or type at all for that matter), or pull down notification center, Some didn't even show the double tap touch id feature.

Hoping all the review videos will hit all of those points in the middle of this week. I am happy with my purchase either way, but was hoping to get a better feel of the plus with the hands on videos.

4. Jack snakeskin macrumors member

I agree, these tech journalists must be really retarded, nearly all their hands on videos are really ****** 1 minute pieces of crap.

5. pmau thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't expect a response.

It was an expression of my opinion that last years event was covered with much more detail. There would have been lots of stuff to talk about, but no one took the time to do so.

6. Ayr macrumors 6502

Yep, current breed of 'tech reporters' are tragic.

7. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I also agree with the OP, they were all pretty bad. No one tested typing, no one tried to put in in their pocket (although Apple may have forbidden this), no one tried to see if Safari tabs still reload often, no one layed it flat on the table and tried to figure out if the protruding camera made it rock around or if it was stable. And no daring person tried to pull up the specs (like RAM) or load and run a quick benchmark, lurking Apple PR people be damned. :)

8. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Glad I'm not the only one who thought a lot of these videos sucked.

9. lusticke macrumors member

I never thought of this. Maybe there were Apple employees lurking over their shoulder making sure they weren't doing certain things...

10. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

The tech journalism business is not as lucrative as it one was. You get what you can pay for. It's been sad watching Engadget fall from grace.

11. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Maybe that's why the phones were laid on soft mats :O

12. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I keep searching on Youtube to find a decent one incase I missed it.

The presenting quality isn't any better than those random amateurs you normally get on Youtube.

"Here's the iPhone 6, it feels nice in the hand, it has a bigger screen, feels nice in the hand, got the A8 in it, feels great, swiping through home screens, fast and responsive, comes in gold as well, looks pretty nice, and it has this new feature called, what was it called again? Swipability? One handed ability? Oh Reachability yeah, so thats pretty cool. Looks nice, comes out soon and that."

Urgh... waste of time.

13. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

Terrible hands on videos! If they say "it feels great in the hand" one more time then somebody gets hurt

14. nilnova macrumors member

nilnova

Yeah, they were really disappointing. I was really hoping they would attempt some form of one-handed use with the 6 Plus, simple things like doing a text, dialing a number, etc. They just regurgitated info from the keynote. But that's ok, it spurred me to print out the mock-up and do my own tests with cardboard. :)

15. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

To be fair, they had very limited time to do these quickie reviews.

16. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

I saw one linked here last night, it does wobble on a flat surface.

17. munakib, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

munakib macrumors 6502

Well the rest I dont care much about but theVerge should have done a better job. Nilay is so critical of every device on the market, we love that it has reachability, swipablity and while you are it why not add bootylicious but do something more than drool at them for the couple of minutes you got to have it on your hand. Dig deep into the performance, open all the apps at the same time - come back to office and compare against your 5S, how good was the tabbed safari experience..so many more things you could have done instead of wiping the drool off your face.

18. nostresshere macrumors 68030

More indepth reviews will be out Tues or Wed.

19. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

20. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I was thinking the same thing. For some reason I feel like previous years had better hands on vids from the keynotes..

21. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

I noticed they were all in a hurry. Talking really fast.

22. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

I'm thinking Apple didn't let them do too much with the phone as to not show any negative aspects and affect orders.

23. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

If they would have talked like normal people, their 'hands on' reviews wouldn't be a minute long.

All they did was tell us stuff we already knew while shaking, talking fast and stuttering a lot.

0/10.

24. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

I don't know why more people haven't watching this one yet...it's a lot more in depth and they also do the rocker test everyone seems to be interested in.

http://youtu.be/f6P4UkpmhxM