Disappointment with Macbook Retina keyboard build quality

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tle, Feb 14, 2016.

1. tle macrumors newbie

tle

As part of the very first buyer of the new MacBook Retina, I was hyped with the new keyboard and non-mechanical trackpad. The new keyboard is pretty awesome, it takes a while to get used to it but once I am familiar enough with it, it was a pleasant well except _one thing_, that is the build quality is pretty sub-par to the standard of other MacBook build (MacBook Air and MacBook Pro).

You see, the key label after 6 months of usage become so worn out that I am shocked to believe this is the build quality from Apple. I own a 2 years old Macbook Pro and have been using it as main work machine and label is bit glossy but not worn out like this.

So I hope this post serves as warning for whom who want to buy the new MacBook. Apple is cutting corner in quality build :(

Screen Shot 2016-02-12 at 1.22.45 PM.png

2. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

My first one, bought at launch showed key wear very quickly. I have ordered a keyboard cover on my new one. It is Disappointing I wonder if AppleCare covers it.

3. east85, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016

east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Do they sell the thin rubbery clear covers for this model? Definitely sucks that their quality dipped here.

4. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I'd imagine this is covered under the normal manufacturer warranty. Go get a new mb

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

The build quality could be better. I've had issues with the keyboard as well.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/crumbling-keys.1942841/#post-22402436

But, it seems par for the course in a first-generation device. Apple stands behind their stuff, and, if my experience is any indication, you can probably get everything taken care of in ten or fifteen minutes.