Disasembling a 17" Intel iMac?

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
1,609
8
Danville, VA
Just out of curiousity does anyone know of a site with detailed instructions on how to disasemble a 17" Intel iMac. Everyone just says it is difficult, but doesn't actually tell you how to do it. Im fairly technical, but I would like to know exactally what im doing so as not to break something. LOL. Im not even sure I wan't to open it at all, just thinking about some things and would like to know how if the want arrises. Thanks
 

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
29,080
287
Indianapolis

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
2,137
0
Eidorian said:
I have the service manual for the Early 2006 iMac. I still think that I don't want to open it. The EMI wrap is a nightmare.
Just because you don't have the cojones (read: balls) to do it doesnt mean someone else can't.

I have seen this sentiment from you before and it is rather useless. You can not tell someone what they do and do not want to do.

P.S. I fixed you post for you.
 

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
29,080
287
Indianapolis
suneohair said:
Just because you don't have the cojones (read: balls) to do it doesnt mean someone else can't.

I have seen this sentiment from you before and it is rather useless. You can not tell someone what they do and do not want to do.

P.S. I fixed you post for you.
Lo siento que yo no tengo los "cajones" como usted dice.

I'd be more then glad to think of something if I was sent a PM.

Hint Hint! I don't seem to have big boxes...
 

topgunn

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2004
1,458
1,263
Houston
Undo the 4 torx screws along the bottom and also remove the memory access door. Find a credit card size piece of plastic (ie bendable without breaking yet rigid). Apple calls it an "access card" but you can use an expired credit card. Bend one end to a 30 degree angle starting at about 1/3 of the way down the card. Slide the card up into the iMac through the vent slot and aim the card for the far corners of the iMac. You are trying to push a latch that holds the top corners of the plastic front frame on. While you are pushing the card onto the latch, start pulling the front bezel away from the frame. Repeat on the other side. With the iMac layed down screen up, flip the bezel over the top of the iMac so it will rest out of the way. Now remove all of the EMI shielding tape and peel back the EMI shield (the big black thing at the bottom). You can remove the LCD panel using a magnetic T10 driver. You want it to be magnetic because it is a PITA to get it back on with a non-magnetic driver. With the screen off, you have ready access to the hard drive. If you want to access the CPU, you will need to remove all the connectors to the logic board (be careful, some are quite thin and breakable) as well as the 11 or so torx screw holding it down. Be sure to mark where each screw came from as there are 5 types. With the logic board removed, you can remove the heatsink from the GPU and CPU giving you access to the CPU socket.

Have fun!
 

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
2,137
0
Eidorian said:
Lo siento que yo no tengo los "cajones" como usted dice.

I'd be more then glad to think of something if I was sent a PM.

Hint Hint! I don't seem to have big boxes...
Hmm.. in case you missed that, i spelled it "cojones". So either you used a translation service... or you suck at spanish considering you can spen't the word "cojones" correctly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cojones do YOU know it?
 

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
1,609
8
Danville, VA
Now now people calm down LOL. Thanks for the link tobyg it really doesn't seem as difficult as everyone makes it out to be. I wasn't expecting it to be as easy as a tower. The main thing I might want to do is upgrade the HD and mabye at a later date, like a few years the Processor if possible. That part does seem like a bit more of a PIA.
 

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
29,080
287
Indianapolis
suneohair said:
Hmm.. in case you missed that, i spelled it "cojones". So either you used a translation service... or you suck at spanish considering you can spen't the word "cojones" correctly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cojones do YOU know it?
The same word exists in Catalan as colló, very commonly used in the plural (collons) as an exclamation in Valencia. Other cognates include the French couilles, Italian coglioni and Portuguese colhões. Finnish language has the expression on munaa (to have eggs), which is the same as tener huevos.
Sorry not part of my dialect's slang. (I tend to prefer Latin American studies over Peninsular.)
 

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
2,137
0
Eidorian said:
Sorry not part of my dialect's slang. (I tend to prefer Latin American studies over Peninsular.)
Notice the second letter remains an "o" unlike your "a" in the other post.

It seemed as if your point in the other post was to rag on me for saying "boxes" or "drawers" which is what the spelling "cajones" means. Whereas I said cojones.

So I am not quite what you were getting at? That you don't have balls?
 

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
29,080
287
Indianapolis
suneohair said:
Notice the second letter remains an "o" unlike your "a" in the other post.

It seemed as if your point in the other post was to rag on me for saying "boxes" or "drawers" which is what the spelling "cajones" means. Whereas I said cojones.

So I am not quite what you were getting at? That you don't have balls?
Oh I know that you were getting at those. I'm just not normally used to hearing "cojones". Do I need to draw out my course of study? I'm sorry I'm not the master of all regional and national slang.