Disassembled Macbook to install part, now won't turn on.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Kee123, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Kee123, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

Kee123 macrumors member

Without going too in depth to the original problem, I had the backlight of my Macbook die a few weeks ago, and I opened it up to try and see what the problem was. I knew where I was looking after some Googling, so I didn't prod around too much. The inverter cable seemed dodgy and the screen would flicker when moving it, so I established that was the problem.

I ordered a new inverter cable, which has just arrived. I installed it and with fingers crossed, pressed the power button - nothing. No chime, no noise. It doesn't power on. It was powering on fine when we had it apart and testing for the backlight problem and we haven't touched it since then.

I can't see any visible signs of damage, the board isn't fried and there are no cables melted or damaged.

The Macbook is a late 2006 Core Duo model (I know, it's old, but I can't afford a new one and really need to save this)

Does anyone have any advice?

Much appreciated.

2. Kee123 thread starter macrumors member

It just came on for a bit, but went off. Not sure if it's the connection between the keyboard?

3. Detrius macrumors 68000

Did you follow proper static safety guidelines?

There's a pair of pads on the logic board near where the top case plugs in that has a power icon near it. If you short out those two pads with a small flathead screwdriver, that's like pushing the power button, so you can try to turn it on without the top case connected.

I want to say that it's in between the fan and where the optical drive plugs in, but I don't have one of these machines in front of me right now, so I'm not certain precisely where it is. It varies a little from model to model.

4. Kee123 thread starter macrumors member

Tried looking for that but I can't see it. What does it look like exactly? Is it small? Don't suppose you could find a photo to point it out on?

5. Kee123 thread starter macrumors member

Ok found it. Tried to short it but it doesn't seem to have worked, worrying now.

6. mwhities macrumors 6502a

Look on ifixit.com and follow one of their guides to reassemble it?

7. Kee123 thread starter macrumors member

I don't think that would help much, as it's only the top case I have taken off.

8. Kee123 thread starter macrumors member

I've just tried a friend's charger to eliminate that, and the light isn't coming on at all from it. Could it maybe be the magsafe connector?

9. Detrius macrumors 68000

All you need is the magsafe board, and a fan connected to the logic board. Rock a flathead across those leads, and the fan should start spinning. If it doesn't, check to make sure the magsafe board is properly connected. Unplug it, and plug it back into the logic board. Try again.

It's very rare that a logic board is so dead that it won't even spin the fan.